We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Beach town?

Houston
9 posts
Save Topic
Family Beach town?

I'm planning a trip for my family this summer and found a great house in Bradley Beach. I will be bringing my son and his family - wife and 2 small children. My questions is - is Bradley Beach a good one for family? I'm not very familiar with the Jersey Shore. Thanks for any advise.

21 replies to this topic
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,823 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Beach town?

Bradley Beach is a lovely, generally quiet town. There are a few not-so-good parts, mostly west of Route 71 (Main Street). There are some very good restaurants right on Main. Finn's, 120 Main Street, is a great fast-seafood place (BYOB, and there is a wine store nearby) that even delivers to the beach for lunch. A block or so north of there is an incredible Italian bakery and gelato shop, DelPonte's. I promise you will be amazed. Right next door to that on the side street (Brinley Street?) is a great, but small, wood-fired pizza place. We drive an hour from home to hit these places, so that should tell you something.

There's not much of a boardwalk, but it does extend to the towns north and south, and is a very nice walk. Each town's boardwalk has it's own character. Some set up tents for vendors, stage live music (mostly kind of corny, but still fun). You can venture up to Asbury Park and stop at the famous Stone Pony, home of Bruce Springsteen (who still stops by to play). There is a great, new jazz club there called Chico's.

Anyway, I would definitely consider Bradley Beach to be a nice family town, just a little short on the exciting boardwalk activities, and stay east of Main Street.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 06:08
Houston
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Beach town?

Thanks for your information on Bradley Beach. We are planning to be there in late June and I understand the water is still quite cold at that times which is fine with us. We'll have small children and water sports are not in our plans.

Houston
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Beach town?

What is be best way to get to Statue of Liberty from Bradley Beach? Drive, train, boat? Also want to see sights in NYC - should we drive, park and then lots of walking, or take a train to NYC?

Asbury Park, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Beach town?

NJ transit trains stop at the Bradley Beach train station (and many other towns up/down the NJ coastline) and can take you into NYC. (www.njtransit.com)

The ocean water is never really "warm" in NJ in my experience- at least not like it gets warm in other places!

Owlyn is right: Bradley Beach really is a lovely and generally quiet town.

There are many restaurants in Bradley (I like those that were already mentioned, in addition to La Hacienda and also Bella Sogno). The neighboring towns are nice too: Asbury, Avon, and Belmar are nearby so you can always explore those areas as well. They have mini golf, glass blowing, ceramic painting (the latter two being great ideas for rainy days, should you be unfortunate enough to encounter one during your stay).

I live just outside of Bradley, so if you have other questions about the town just let me know :)

Overland Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Beach town?

My sons and I will be in Bradley Beach in August! Would love some ideas on what to do with 4 year old twin boys.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Beach town?

The children will enjoy the Pt. Pleasant Beach Boardwalk, a short distance south of Bradley Beach. It is the "true" Jersey Shore experience....rides, games, funhouse, traditional boardwalk food, etc.

http://www.pointpleasantbeach.com/

Overland Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Beach town?

Thanks! Sounds fantastic. I know they will love it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Beach town?

Here's our dilemma.....I'm from the Caribbean and only familiar with Caribbean beaches. The only beaches in the tri state area that I'm familiar with are Fire Island and Montauk Beach. I really want to give the Jersey shore a try. So.....having said that:

1. looking for a beach that is appropriate for a young family with a 3yr old child.....so the water can't be too rough

2. would also prefer a beach that isn't crazy crowded......we don't mind if we have to pay a fee to enter the beach

3. we're trying to getaway from crazy NYC to chillax.....so we will be relying on NJ transit and our own two feet.....accessibility will be important to us as well as length of travel from NYC

4. more than likely we will bring some snacks/food/drink with us in a small cooler bag but having restaurants nearby for after a day in the sun would be nice

is Bradley Beach the answer to our prayers????? Could you offer any other advice....additional beaches???

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,823 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Beach town?

I have a great suggestion for you being that you are on foot and relying on public transit. Make your way to the South Street Sea Port, and take the ferry to Sandy Hook. Once you reach the Hook, there will be shuttle buses (part of the ferry fare) that will take you to any of the many beaches. You want the one (Area D) that has the Seagull's Nest (restaurant/bar), as it has the most facilities (food, beach gear, restrooms with a changing area, family restroom, outdoor showers… The beach at The Hook is fantastic and not crowded. It is a National Park, and once a certain number of cars enter, it is closed to new entries, so it only ever gets but so crowded. There are also bike rentals available near where the ferry drops you, but the shuttle bus is probably your best bet. You can bring your own food, etc- just no alcohol. You will need to take your trash out with you.

There used to be a small ferry service, but I'm not sure if that still runs. You can take the SeaStreak, but it's $43/person, which I think is twice the price of the other service. You should call Sandy Hook to find out if that other one is still running. Here is a link to some information about all of the above:

http://www.in-nycsite.com/?p=2259

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Beach town?

Are you looking for a day trip or over night?

Reply to: Family Beach town?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bradley Beach