We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

CANADA
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

The Traveller is at it again(LOL) taking one of my classic cars on a cruise to New Hampshire & then on to Portsmouth ME,( driving a classic is always a challenge to find suitable (parking) & accommodations as we are very protective of the car so we opt for motels that I can park out front etc, large hotel are nice , but people have no respect and spots are small for a large "boat" ,we are already book into Gorham NH for 4 nights ( Mountain Inn) has good reviews, to cruise the White Mountain area etc, we are now looking to head to Portland, ME for a few days and need the same set up, Motel , safe area, etc, no special criteria as to area , not looking to stay downtown etc can be on outskirts etc, I may even stay in Gorham and travel back & forth, ??? any ideas or suggestions etc,

Thanks Everyone and Happy & Safe Motoring !

The Traveller -7

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

I find your post a little confusing... You ask about lodging in Portland, ME but ask the question on the New Hampshire Forum of Trip Advisor? Then reference Portsmouth, ME. Portsmouth is in New Hampshire.... And then you refer again to Portland, ME.... Are you looking for lodging in Portsmouth or Portland? If Portland, you're likely to attract a wider variety of responses by asking your question in the Maine Forum....

CANADA
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

Sorry yes I was in the wrong forum, I was in search mode, here is what I am doing, starting in Ontario ,Canada heading to the White Mountains in NH, 4 days, then off to Portland ME, for another 4 days, then back home another 3-4 days, all in a classic car ! we are well traveled, but mainly in the Western parts and in rental cars etc, this is a first for one of my classics & am trying my best to keep ti safe, so motel where I can see and the car and park safe without door dings etc, when I go into a city I always use street parking , its a little safer but not much , I am partially handicapped so I am entitled to those spots but mostly they are full with mini vans etc, again sorry for the confusion,

Happy & Safe traveling to all.

The Traveller 7

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

Now I get it.... and wish I could think of Portland-area lodging that meets your criteria. Am coming up empty right now but will work on it a bit more to see if anything pops up....

CANADA
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

Thanks , would be appreciated ! we sometimes find decent Motels on the fly, be we have also driven around allot searching only to find another dump or no vacancy ! so I'm just trying to cut out the bad ones if possible, or find a decent area where I can go to and there is like a motel strip and have a look at several ? not sure how busy they are at the end of August ? I also don't mind being out of town ,say 1/2 hour drive !

Someone mentioned Scarborough area ?

Thanks Again,

The Traveller 7

Edited: 25 July 2015, 04:51
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
158 reviews
5. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

Not sure about Scarborough -- haven't stayed there in a long, long time.

If you're okay with places where you can probably park the car where you can see it from your room (even though access to your room is through a lobby and indoor corridor, you could check the Hampton Inn on Philbrook Avenue in South Portland, the Comfort Inn in South Portland or the Holiday Inn Express in South Portland. I would call the property directly rather than go through a 1-800 central reservations number and tell them what you're looking for, and get assurance directly from them that they can provide what you are looking for. As far as "playing it by ear", I'd advise against it in the Portland aree in August... it's a popular destination and August is definitely still the height of the summer tourist season...

6. Re: Best Motel(s) Portland, ME area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2016, 09:46