We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth Neighborhoods

Sebring, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Portsmouth Neighborhoods

We are looking into using an apartment via airbnb for a couple of weeks in July in Portsmouth. Right now, I just know that it's on Thornton. I recently visited, staying at the Sheraton, which is pretty much downtown.

It appears that this apartment is about 10 minutes from downtown. Walking isn't a problem for us, but any advice on the neighborhood around Thornton?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
186 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Portsmouth Neighborhoods

Thornton is not downtown at all and it's much more than a 10 minute walk at least the way I walk. It's a lot further walk downtown that from the Sheraton. It's a decent, older, residential neighborhood that doesn't have a bad rep but there's nothing nearby. I'd suggest taking a look at it on Google Earth to give you a better idea.

Sebring, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Portsmouth Neighborhoods

The owner updated us to let us know it was a 15 minute walk which we definitely don't mind. Thanks for the Googke earth suggestion! Being right downtown for a 4 day trip is fine with us, but staying 2+ weeks we would rather be in a residential neighborhood.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
186 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Portsmouth Neighborhoods

Just fwit, I'm not against the rental but rather wanted you to have valid info. A lot depends on what the owner calls downtown. I think 15 minutes of fast walking might get you to the very westerly edge of downtown. And the sidewalks for a lot of the walk are barely 2 people wide and are not in the best of conditions. Part of 'the walk' is thru an area that I would be rather cautious in at night. There is street lighting all the way but that might not be an issue with it being light so late at this time of year. As far as just 'getting downtown' you could drive an park in the Hanover street parking lot which would then put you 'downtown'. Not sure what the rates are-maybe $1/hour. You could google it. There's also 2 relatively small public parking areas on the western edge of the downtown area.

4. Re: Portsmouth Neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2016, 09:48