We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

Looking for a waterfront restaurant with good food to celebrate end of college year with son.

Would like it to be "somewhat" close to getting on/off I-95. Somewhat "casual" would be nice, too.

Thanks in advance.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

I'm not sure if you are familiar where most of the waterfront restaurants are in Portsmouth, but most are in the Bow Street, Ceres Street area. My opinions follow: most casual would be Oar House dock (there is also an Oar House deck which is more upscale and quite expensive -although good food). There is the Ferry Landing -- primarily seafood, but I love their roast turkey sandwich; there is the River House (I like everything I've tried on the menu) - there is a lower deck and an upper deck. They serve the same food and both are great. A little off the water, but still a bit of water views is Poco's. This is Mexican - again casual. There is also Harpoon willy's, but this is primarily a bar and I wouldn't eat there. And there is also Martingale Wharf which is very nice (fabulous creme brûlée). So, if you are looking for casual, but nice, my personal preference would be the River House. I would say no to Harpoon Willy's; less inclined to go with Poco's - personal preference; any of the others are good/great. Not sure when you will going, but I'm not sure either the Oar House Deck or the Oar House Dock are open yet. And remember if it is a good day they fill up quickly. Another option (although not as easy to get to from 95) is BGs boathouse. They have nice decks as well. They are located at 191 Wentworth Rd, Portsmouth, NH 03801. With BGs they have their own parking lot, so parking in downtown Portsmouth wouldn't be an issue. If you choose BGs you could also stop just down the street for ice cream for dessert at the Ice House (a local favorite). Hope this helps!

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

Thanks for your informative reply. All good suggestions. The only restaurant we have been to in the Portsmouth area is The Library, which was very nice. Good point about the parking, too. We will be going the end of May. I will definitely check to make sure whichever one we choose is open for the season, and make reservations, if possible.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts..

Oxford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
122 posts
213 reviews
3. Re: Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

Check out the Wellington Room as well. It is smaller, but intimate, great views, and the food is excellent. Martingale Wharf is also a good choice as other post pointed out. If you are a member of a country club, yacht club, etc. they may have a reciprocal relationship with the One Hundred Club which is quite a treat.

4. Re: Nicest waterfront restaurant in Portsmouth, NH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2016, 09:45