We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day hike suggestions?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Half day hike suggestions?

Hi,

My husband and I will be visiting labor day weekend and we're looking for a half day moderate hike. If anyone has any suggestions, we appreciate it!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

Arathusa falls should be nice especially if it rains.

Also, on a nice day,- just hiking to the base of tuckerman's is great.

most of the walk is in the woods but really great views once you get in the bowl. It is about 2 miles each way. most difficult part is that you are walking from boulder to boulder.

Lots of folks recommend Mt Chocorua beacuse of its bald top for great views. I am ashamed to say that have not done this hike so can't comment on how long it takes.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,822 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

Chocorua and MT Kearsarge are both relatively easy 6 mile round trip climbs with rewarding views. South Moat is another good one.

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

Mount Willard. Best reward for a half day hike in the White Mountains. Google it.

Warwick,RI
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

Another vote for Willard.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

Arethusa Falls and Mt. Willard are great "value" hikes (good effort/reward ratio), but neither one is long enough to be a half day hike unless, maybe, you do them back-to-back.

RedSox's suggestions sound more like true half-day hikes to me, although I don't have personal experience with them. If you're willing to go a little farther from North Conway, the Lonesome Lake loop trail in Franconia Notch is quite popular and not too strenuous. Begin at the Basin, ascend the Basin-Cascades trail, descend the Lonesome Lake trail, and loop back along the Pemigewassett River trail.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

I would recommend the Black Cap hike and, longer but still doable in half a day, the Mount Willard hike. These were sufficiently challenging to be an adventure, but not the all day commitment that I found the Tuckerman's Ravine hike to be (2 hours up for me, with my very bad knee, and 3 hours down--on an all-rock terrain). We were there in July; hope we will return sometime soon. Enjoy your visit!

7. Re: Half day hike suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about North Conway