We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
231 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Hi my wife and I are planning a car driving trip in mid-May for a few days driving in from I-90 East (from Michigan) to Quechee Gorge & on to Franconia & continuing on to Acadia National Park. We are mid 50's and enjoy seeing sites, small towns, scenery & wildlife. Looking for suggestions for say 3-5 days coming in from Quechee Gorge to Franconia, NH. & continuing on to Acadia Park. It is a driving tour & I know there is probably a lot to do in detail but looking for a nice ride and views with a little bit on mile to two walking with views or maybe interseting towns or a area specific museum. Also a route with any memorable covered bridges would be great also. Looking for some general sites and suggestions. Wish we had more time, but not on this trip & will plan a second trip in the future.

5 replies to this topic
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

You might start by reading these recent threads:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659478-i11730-k53…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659478-i11730-k53…

Just to rattle off a few worthwhile places between Franconia and Bar Harbor (you can Google them and/or search this forum if interested): Castle in the Clouds, Portsmouth, Portland, Ogunquit, Cape Ann.

Littleton, NH, just northwest of Franconia Notch, is a very nice, vibrant town.

The area between the southern White Mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee is often overlooked and, I think, underappreciated. A ride from Moultonborough to Chocorua via Center Sandwich, North Sandwich, and Tamworth is always a treat.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
231 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Thanks for your inputs - I'll start researching the areas you suggested. We appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,

Ed

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Some of wpsaukee's suggestions have you making a loop much further south than necessary to get from Franconia to Bar Harbor, and includes places like Portland, ME, Portsmouth NH and Cape Ann, MA that would make more logical destinations after you leave Bar Harbor and begin your trip south on your way home.... In addition to the route suggested in response to your post on the Maine Forum, I'd add Franconia down US 302 thru Pinkham Notch to Glen, NH, then north on NH Rt 16 to Gorham, taking the short loop through the covered bridge and Jackson Village on the way. From Gorham, US Rt 2 east to Bethel ME takes you along the Androscoggin River valley and through a section of the White Mountains National Forest. From Bethel, you can pick up the route suggested in the Maine forum....

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Franconia is where Garnet Hill mail order company is based; there is a discount company store there if that appeals to you. www.garnethill.com/our-retail-store/content Polly's Pancake Parlor is nearby. http://pollyspancakeparlor.com/ I've gone MILES out of my way to work it into my route. :)

The Sunset Hill House in Sugar Hill (very near Franconia) has a special that expires in three days. See

travelzoo.com/local-deals/… It's an old inn with a spectacular view, and if you stayed there you could surely hit Polly's for breakfast the next morning!

I love the Mt Washington Auto Road, but you can't really plan ahead to go there, it totally depends on the weather. http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/ I'd drive to the top of Mt. Washington if visibility if good when you happen to be coming through, otherwise I'd pass.

Woodstock VT is picture perfect. I hope you'll spend some time there.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
231 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National

Thanks for your tips. We are planning to kind of set the route this weekend and then start on the loding aspect. We love mountain views so if possible we would try to get to Mt. Washington if the weather is good. I've heard several comments about Woodstock so I think my wife would probably like to walk around a bit there.

Reply to: Sites and suggestions from Franconia area to Acadia National
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted