We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

My boyfriend and I are staying at the Wynn for my 40th birthday in mid-March. I'd like to go to a nightclub or two, but we went to one before at Mandalay Bay years ago and after the high cover charge, there was only techno music and no place to sit. Is there anywhere for us older people to go so that we don't feel out of place but can still dance and have fun? I like any music except for techno. My brother said to be sure not to miss Forty Deuce, but I'm thinking from the reviews on here it's the same thing.

Also, will we be able to get in and have a table if we don't get the VIP service? Would that be a better option? It says for 4 guests, but there are only the two of us. Money is no object (hey, I only turn 40 once!)

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

You might give Studio 54 at MGM a try. Go early when they play more classic music because it gets into techno/ trance later in the night.

colorado
Level Contributor
274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

If you are going over the weekend, check out the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay. On Friday nights they have Flashback Fridays which is music from the 80's and 90's. Then on Saturday nights, the Boogie Nights are there which is a great live band that plays disco music. If you take a cab from the airport, pick up the vegas discount book in the back of the cab and you should find coupons for free cover charges to the club on Fri and Sat.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

Great Question! I don't really have an answer but I have often wondered why we even need to ask this question!!

I am 44 years old. It's great that there are a lot of places that primarily cater to the 20-somehting and 30-something crowd. But WHY is there nothing for 35+ ???? Obviously that is where the money is really coming from. Yet, it seems that anyone 35+ is considered worthless to the club owners. WHY?

I like the mix of 20-something/30-somethings in a fun place - but it's silly to lower oneself to a drunken 22-year old mentality. Honestly, I didn't even like 'the club' scene when I was 22.

My vision is for a cool club with some REAL music performed by actual people - preferably with a headliner, although that wouldn't be critical. It would seem to me that they could charge a lot of $$$ for such a place - but there must be some reason that the 'ultra lounges' are the only thing being built. Any thoughts on why this is so???

One such venue that I think would lend itself to this type of club would be 'Rainforest Cafe' at MGM Grand. Rainforest Cafe??? What the ... ??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

Do you have a Las Vegas Advisor membership? The reason I am asking is because this was the QOD on 2/12/2006. They named about 12 good places to go. You could then go into the archives.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

I agree with the not wanting to go 'clubbing' with 22 yr olds. A trip we took a few years ago found us gambling at the Excalibur, I was sitting right by the lounge and some fabulous 'act' came out and sang all of OUR music. I had a blast sitting there for hours listening, there were even some people dancing. It was so much fun. Need more secret locations like that...

1,519 Miles from...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

The club owners cater to 20-somethings because they, on average, will drink more and pay more for drinks. It's like the dog/cat comparison: a cat will eat until it is full, a dog will eat until it passes out and dies! Those of us in our 40s have a "been there, done that" mentality when it comes to getting totally wasted. Therefore, we are not as profitable to the clubs. Well, that's my theory, anyway! I believe there's a club in Caesar's that plays more 70s/80s music-is it Cleopatra's Barge? I've not been there, just know by rep.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,990 posts
1,790 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

I have to say you might be too young for the Wynn.

The funniest sight I saw in Vegas was ladies taking out id to show to the doormen at the Wynn.

They were well over 60 years old.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

My husband is 41, and he loves the club scene in Vegas. We have been to LIght, Voodoo, Moon/Playboy Club, Risque. All were really nice, but you generally cannot sit down without bottle service. You might want to try a lounge, as it is easier to get a seat. Some places we really like are Fontana and Carmel at Bellagio and the Shadow Bar at Caesars.

If money is no object, you should get bottle service at one of the clubs, as it is a really fun experience.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

lol PrestonTraveller!! I was carded the other day and loved it!!

Great suggestions from all. Thank you!

As for why the clubs don't cater to us older people, I want you all to think about how many times a week you go out dancing/drinking/parting. If you're like me, it's MAYBE once a week, but more like once a month. The young crowd goes all week long! We may have more money, but they go more often.

10. Re: Can a 40 year old enjoy a nightclub? Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 17:48