My husband & I (Australians in our early 50's - young at heart but not wild partiers, enjoy the good things but appreciate value for money) will be enjoying our 1st ever visit to LV later this month, staying 3 nights from Friday 23rd.
We will be spending 3 weeks all up in the US (after LV we are doing an 8 day road trip - GC, parts of Route 66, Monument Valley, Santa Fe etc) then flying to Chicago for a few days and then onto Detroit for a family wedding). While it will all be great, the Las Vegas bit is really special because I have always wanted to go and despite having been to the US 3 times previously I've never managed to get there until this trip!!!
I really struggled to choose a hotel - so many icons, so much choice, so many opinions!!!!!! and then trying to balance the budget................. the serious shortlist ended up being:
- The Venetian - eventually ruled out because of slightly higher cost and while it is beautiful we have been to Venice so the themeing wasn't an all powerful draw
- ARIA - was drawn to central location, being new (so many negative reviews about older hotels showing wear/age and being smelly) but had an odd lingering concern that we might feel a bit out of place with the cool young crowd - probably silly but it's how I felt!
- Cosmopolitan - ruled out immediately on price (I didn't see it as any kind of value for money for us)
- Caesar's Palace (I initially saw this as the quintessential LV option but ended up being put off by the consistently mixed reviews on the various sites; the reality that the lower end rooms were possibly a bit tacky /showing their age & the cost of better towers sent me looking elsewhere for better value; concerns that overall Caesars might be just too big/busy/noisy/tired/smoky/smelly and that I would regret it
- Mirage (saw this as a possible compromise between $, experience and amenities but ruled it out on basis of too much of a party atmosphere/too noisy and thought that I would be disappointed overall (especially in the room) and think that I saved a few bucks but blew the overall experience)
- Bellagio - was always the dream but just couldn't justify the extra cost (rather have that money for extra experiences and dining etc)
and finally I decided to go with:
- Vdara - location acceptable - set back off the strip but between ARIA and Bellagio, close to the middle of the Strip; no casino and smoke free (I was very put off by all the comments about older hotels and casino's having overwhelming cigarette smells); access to a fridge and coffee making - well that just seemed like a given to me!! and overall it seemed like the best balance of everything - luxury, price, location - I wasn't concerned about lack of casino or restaurants as we intend to get out and about a lot (we aren't gamblers, will have a bit of a go but that's it - more interested in seeing than using).
Almost at my question............
I'm now having a major attack of "have I booked the right place?" Main reasons:
- the pool is more important than I originally considered; given that it will be so hot when we are there some pool time is likely and all the stuff about the Vdara "death ray" and the fact that the Vdara pool seems to be underwhelming ..........
- and I'm starting to worry that the Vdara, while it will be a lovely hotel for sure, may just be a bit too lacking in terms of a LV experience???
For about $30 more than my (refundable) booking for a Deluxe Lake View Suite at the Vdara I have now found a deal for Caesars Place - a Deluxe King in the Palace Tower and I am considering changing to that.
Finally the question ......... Which way - Vdara Lake View or Caesars Palace Tower???
Apologies for the length/detail but it all seemed relevant if I wanted to let you know where I am coming from with my thinking and concerns :) and I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.