We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disposable cell phones

Campbell River...
2 posts
Save Topic
disposable cell phones

Me and a few of my buds are heading to Vegas for 5 days. We would like to be able to stay in touch without having to field all the regular at home calls. What do we do with the phones when we leave Vegas, can we take them home, and use them when we return to Vegas, and could we refresh them in other parts of the States, eg..Phoenix...AZ

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: disposable cell phones

Yes,you buy uploadable cards with minutes on them (60,120,180,etc) and when minutes run out you just buy more

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
543 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disposable cell phones

Tracphone or Go Phone. Get 'em at any drug store. Known as a "burn phone" on TV cop shows. Go Phone is AT&T and will work most anywhere in the USA. Tracphone is, I think, T-Mobile. In any case, it will work most anywhere, too. Calls are the same per minute charge for local or long-distance. Same with texts.

I carried a Go Phone for years as my only mobile. It's a good service. Tracphone should be, too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
278 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disposable cell phones

I've heard of Tracphone and it's Pay As You Go..ie buying minutes,but believe there is a time limit before they are lost ie 90 days

Are there any Pay as you Go or Top up phones that when minutes are bought they do not have an expiry date and just carry over?

Campbell River...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: disposable cell phones

Thank you for your responses, I will be buying a disposable phone once in the States. And I will hang on to it for use next time we are travelling there.

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: disposable cell phones

Walmart would be your cheapest place to purchase one.

If you don't want to keep the phones many women's shelters will gladly take them. They help women get out of abusive situations.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disposable cell phones

@Keith: There are a couple of different types of plans for Pay As You Go phones. I have not researched this very much, but it seems you either pay a per day fee or you buy minutes that expire (they can be extended by buying more minutes). I think the lower investment is to buy minutes.

Say you buy a card with 90 minutes. The phone is good for 90 minutes or 90 days, whichever comes first. Let's say you use only 60 minutes in 90 days; if you buy another 90 minutes before the 90th day, you then will get to keep your 30 unused minutes, and you will have 120 minutes, and 90 more days of service. But if you don't buy more minutes, the 30 unused minutes vanish, and your phone service is turned off. You can buy another 90 minute phone card and re-activate it at your convenience.

If you come to the US for 3 weeks, and then go back to London, you don't need the phone to stay active while you are in England. You can just let it sit and then reactivate it when you come back. Or, you can lend it to a friend who is coming to the States, and save hiim the $15 or so to buy the phone; all he needs to buy is a card.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
278 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disposable cell phones

@ Mike45LC--MANY thanks...I visit the US at least twice a year for the last 15 years( usually Pittsburgh to visit family of late G/F ) and that's some interesting options you've mentioned and will be checked out when I'm over in 3 weeks time for trip #9 to your great city.

In the UK Pay As You Go ( PAYG ) means you top up by C/Card or by vouchers with no time limit as mentioned,and what you mentioned about "You can buy another 90 minute phone card and re-activate it at your convenience." I will certainly check out.

I don't like bringing my lap top PC when traveling and am looking for a USA number,as a lot of Hotels ( not just in Vegas ) like the Westin in Pittsburgh have their Business Centre run by outsiders, with the cost of Internet use like it was 10 years ago...The Westin Pittsburgh Charge $15 for each 15 mins !

Many thanks again Mike and will find time on my September 13 night trip check out..

Regards...

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: disposable cell phones

If you can't make to a Wal-Mart, odds are Walgreens on the strip carries disposable phones. I would avoid verizon pay as you go phones. Every day you use the phone they charge you a buck. If you're there for 21 days that's 21 additional dollars if you use your phone everyday. We have T mobile, it works fine in Vegas. If Tracphone uses their network you should be fine. We pay a flat 20 cents a minute, no roaming charges for domestic use. There is a 15% discount on minutes if you buy a $100 card.

Seattle
Level Contributor
743 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: disposable cell phones

I use an AT&T go phone as my only phone. Its only 10 cents a minute.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: disposable cell phones

i use Virgin mobile and just recharge and sometimes have to reregister everytime i come over for the last 4 years- good coverage and great service got mine at a radioshack and they even set it up for me