We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

I'm going to rent a car so I can drive to the Grand Canyon and "maybe" Cali. What other tourist sites do I need to see since I'm getting car.

I'm only there for 4 days, so I might not waste my time.

syracuse NY
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Not far at all to the state line. Depends if you're going to the state line, Palm Springs or SanFrancisco.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

The California border is about a half hour drive from Vegas, but that still leaves you in the middle of the desert.

The Los Angeles/Orange County metroplex is a four to five hours drive (Disneyland about 4.5 unless you speed). Depending upon your perspective, its either a beautiful drive through some picturesque arid lands, or a trip through the most gawd-awful place on the planet....I favor the former.

The Grand Canyon is even further away in the opposite direction.

Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

We have rented a car in Vegas and drove to California. The drive is great and very easy. I would plan on making the trip on off days of Vegas tourism. There are alot of Californians who travel into Vegas over the weekend. We were headed to Annaheim and it took us a little over 3 hours. I think right around 3 and a half. CA border is about an hour or so before that and LA is approx 45 minutes beyond that. We have done this trip twice and really enjoyed it. Traffic flows very fast out in the dessert. Never really experienced any problems.

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

so the grand canyon is a 4 hour drive? I think I'll pass I'm not much of a driver to be honest and dont' want to spend all my time behind the wheel.

I thought GC was close

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Wow Steve...

You must have been flying, with no rest or food stops; no traffic, and no fear of the infamous CHP (California Highway Patrol).

Its 265 miles from the Strip to Anaheim; thats a hard 75 miles per hour for 3.5 straight hours.

If you drive the legal maximum it takes four hours (assuming no traffic), and most folks stop at least once to pee and grab a bite.

I have made the drive dozens of times from north Orange County, and only one or twice was it in under about four hours.

And, it is like 200 miles from Anaheim to the Cal/Neva border...so more than an hour at any speed.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

hoover damn

30 minutes from strip

red rocks canyon 25 minutes from strip

both worth it

jbd

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Wow....It seems like people forgot a little town called SAN DIEGO!!!!. Excuse me for taking a provincial stand here, but if I were driving from Vegas to a tourist spot in California, Los Angeles and Anaheim are not the only cities I would mention.

With apologies to the citizens of Los Angeles. The place is smoggy and traffic congested.

And no San Diego isn't perfect, we do have some smog (most of it sent down to us from our neighbors to the north), and we do have traffic congestion also---but not nearly as bad as Los Angeles.

I am not saying that people should completely avoid L.A. or Anaheim. I am saying that don't forget San Diego. We're about 300 miles southwest of Las Vegas or about a 5 hour (assuming you are doing the speed limit)drive.

Have a good time in Souther California where ever you go. Just don't forget that San Diego is worth a visit too.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

3 to 3.5 hours from L.A. to Las Vegas? Not doing the speed limit thats for sure. One time, I went with a group of buddies on a Vegas road trip. From San Diego to Vegas it took about 3.5 hours including a 30 min. pit stop...and I know we were not doing the speed limit. We must have been doing 80 to 85 mph. We left San Diego about 6:30 a.m. and pulled into LV just a bit after 10:00 a.m.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Well spoke John...

As an Escondido native, I concur with your appeal. Too many folks think of your fine city as just an add-on to SoCal instead of a true destination. The Zoo is worth the trip alone...

It unfortunate the great experience of San Diego is trapped in the huge shadow of its northern neighbor.

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is California from Las Vegas and is it worth the...

Amberloo:

I'm in North OC as well and I left on a Monday at 10am and arrived in LV right around 3pm. Of course I stopped twice for a "break" at Barstow Station and at Valley Wells Rest Area east of Baker. Break was about 10-15 min.

I keep mentioning this in other threads and that is Caltrans currently has the I-15 under the knife for repaving in sections between Yermo/I-40 and Baker. Road work occurs weekdays from 7am-2pm or so and they reduce the 15 down to 1 lane out of 2. This delay will add to your trip.

If driving from Vegas to LA expect same roadwork and then anticipate local rush hour traffic along the I-10 going towards LA. Probably easier to drive into Anaheim than LA I figure.