We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

GO BUC'S
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

I've heard , Sunday to LA, can be very busy , with e/one going back to LA..

Any suggestions..

Best time to head out ,, Morning or afternoon..

Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,200 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

First of all, the road between Las Vegas and to LA has some of it that has alot of accidents after dark, so i wouldnt be traveling that road at night.

Im glad that some people seem to have not as much trouble traveling back to LA, But the Majority of the people i talk to and see do have trouble on Sundays with heavy traffic, especially in the tourist Season, there can even be a back up going out of Las Vegas on the Freeway just to get out of the valley which i have seen many times, more around a Holiday, but still its quite common to at least have traffic going quite slowly out of Las Vegas on Sunday, the later it gets towards the afternoon.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 05:07
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

I try to leave before 10 a.m. or after 9 p.m. Especially in the summer heat, when a lot of cars can overheat going up the hills -- then the trucks have to pull out of the truck lane and things get badly backed up.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

Personally, I've seen more accidents during the daytime during traffic than at night. Maybe thats just my experience. And if the accident occurs during the day, it creates a hell of a traffic jam. Not as bad during the night since there are less cars.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

I always make sure I leave by 10am usually by 9am on Sunday. I make that Sunday drive 7-10 times a year. Many weekends especially in the summer after 10am is too late and yo will add time to the drive. The Sunday after thanksgiving I leave by 800am.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

Good Beer, only 7 - 10 times/year? In a 3 year period, I did it 150 times. 50 times each year.

This year, only 3 times so far on Sundays -- such a relief!! Now, I'm much more likely to do the drive to L.A. on a weekday night, and to return to Vegas on Sunday, against the traffic.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

I can see people's point about driving at night, but personally, I just don't like driving deserted highways, or in the desert, when it's dark. Heaven forbid your car breaks down or you do get into an accident, it's pitch black out there! Too scary for me!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

Granted I'm sure that 15 Fwy has tons of people driving it at all hours of the day and night!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

Umaga, once there was an accident on the freeway in the middle of nowhere that had the freeway closed for hours. I took a detour around the closure through the "salt flats" on rarely traveled dirt roads in the middle of the night. That was the only time I was ever worried about a potential problem of isolation in the dark if my car broke down! Because the I-15 always has some traffic.

St. George, Utah
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

What about Super Bowl Sunday travel this Sunday? Do you think people will be staying an extra day and Monday will be the busy day? Or at least staying until after the game and leaving around 8pm?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Sunday Drive to LA,,whats the best time to Leave ??

My guess (and that's ALL it is, a guess) is people will be staying until the end of the game, or at least until they know they've lost their wagers on the game. With SF playing in the Big Game (we in Las Vegas are prohibited by the NFL (No Fun League) from using the word Superbowl) I would expect a pretty good crowd of Californians in this weekend.

My prediction: At the end of the game Coach J. Harbaugh will be holding the Lombardi Trophy.