We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,979 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Apologies if this was posted previously.

vegasinc.com/news/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Terrible news! :(

Loveland Colorado
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Wow,thats too bad that they wont be returning. Hopefully whatever takes its place is something unique and different like the Firefly was. I'm glad I got the chance to eat there. Those bacon wrapped dates were the bomb!!

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

He called us "Cheap Clientele". We must have been out of the norm, I wish our tab was only $25 each.

Vegas Baby
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

No surprise there. Too many coupons and a frugal clientele.

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

They didn't pay rent there and STILL lost $$?

"He cited two culprits: Unionized labor and a cheap clientele. " I wonder what unionized labor cost then. I don't think their prices were bad there, we never had a 20-25 tab either. I must say the management there was crappy, we had our wedding dinner there, it was planned well ahead of time, we opted for a preplanned menu and open bar. The manager who made the arrangements was effin dumb, the various emails back and forth were STUFFED full of errors and typos (very unprofessional ), I basically retyped my order in an excel format at did her job for her. While the food that night was delicious and the staff took very good care of us and our guests, I was hoping and praying they didn't eff up. I loved the Firefly, I'm sad it's gone from downtown. I guess I'll be traveling to another location for those yummy stuffed dates! BTW that tab was waaaaaayyyyy more than 25 bucks.. lolz ;)

I now wonder what the Plaza will put in the dome area? it's such a cool spot with the view looking right down Fremont. I know the Plaza is doing a full refurb / remodel, new everything, including dining. I hope they put in something fun in there again!:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
355 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Blaming your clintele for your inability to operate a successful business is beyond pathetic. I loved my 1 experience at the Firefly, but with that kind of attitude towards their customers, I won't be back.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Remember that Firefly has two other restaurants in LV if you still need a fix. If you're staying on the Strip, the location on Paradise is closer than Downtown.

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

Well, I didn't think they would. It was never crowded the times I've been there. I think the turn off was having to go through the Plaza to get there if you're one of those people who don't care for downtown.

I will miss it but I have a feeling there will be something pretty spectacular in its place but I don't think it will be a restaurant and maybe more of a club/lounge type place. I also think that maybe Tinoco's will move from the Vegas Club over to the Plaza for more visibility.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

I would like to point out one thing: the restaurant owner did not call his clientele in the article cheap, the reporter did. The owner said the average check was not high enough for him to make a profit. Nothing wrong with that.

Shouldn't be surprising, though, that tabs were not all that high given their style of menu. Nor that people lingered, given the fantastic view. And I suppose it's probably tough to use space efficiently in a round room.

Sad to see it go though. But I'm sure the space will be able to support a higher end restaurant now that the Plaza has been fixed up.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly - Plaza Location Will Not Reopen

That article only told me one thing. Unionized labor had nothing, zero, to do with the closing. After several months of the plaza being closed and a year or more of very little business. The FF could not continue to take the hit. He was a small business owner. He probably owed his suppliers, purveyors, liguor, etc. He had little capitol and or credit (economy).

The big hotels might have made a call but money has to be invested. Small guy, small business. But to blame labor and a cheap clientele. Always the way, someone elses fault. It was a series of circumstances. No rent also. Who is to say, he didn't rape the business for years. Just a shame, Liked the place too.