We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas in August- Is it Busy

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Vegas in August- Is it Busy

Is Vegas in August really busy? Or is this time considered their so called slow season?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

It's been pretty busy the few times I went during August. Also, the weekends are busier than mid-week, which is true most of the year.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

The weekend of the 20th and 28th are probably going to be very quiet, bookings way down across the board. I guess its because people are waiting for labour day (the next weekend)?. At any rate, translates into good rates for us for our wedding anniversary :)

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

If you look at the numbers August is a slow month in Las Vegas. But unless you've been there often enough you probably wouldn't notice the difference much. The pools will be mobbed, and you will see a lot of kids everywhere, as it is prime vacation time.

Despite what you hear, thanks to the much maligned family vacationers, Summer actually brings more visitors to Las Vegas than January & February.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

Yes it is really really hot in August, but it is not the slow season as many think. Many hotels sell out every weekend.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

I don't think its the slow season either, when i've been in August its been quite busy especially weekends. I'm there 27th August and I think it will be a busy weekend, Micheal Buble at MGM, Hoodie awards at MBay etc.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

Compared to months like March, April and October when there's lots of large conventions and other events it's not especially busy, but as ktinca said you won't really notice. It will still appear busy, especially at weekends.

"Slow season" in Vegas is in December, immediately after the rodeo leaves town.

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

Been to Vegas every month of the year. Been to Vegas in August many times, but not my optimal due to the heat.

For visitor counts I'll defer to the experts. I agree that it doesn't seem any less crowded. But, besides December, August features some of the lowest hotel rates of the calendar year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

if you look at the numbers August is about the 5th or 6th busiest month in terms of total # of visitors, however the difference between the busiest month in 2009 visitor wise March 3.2 million visitors and almost 3.1 million visitors in Aug is very small.

To compare the least busy months Dec and Jan had about 2.7 million visitors in 2009. So the difference between the busiest month in 2009 and the slowest month was about 500,000

Edited: 19 June 2010, 18:29
Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

For those who want the "official" statistics:

www.lvcva.com/getfile/479/ES-YTD2009.pdf

I have also been to Vegas every month of the year- 8 to 18 times each month.

It does seem like less people are in Vegas during the summer months. Not everyone wants to visit when the temps can top 110. So it is less busy than some months and busier than other months.

However- terms like "slow season" are relative in Vegas. No matter when you go, you will find crowds and Vegas is always hopping - it is never, ever deserted.

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas in August- Is it Busy

usally some BIG conventions there in August. First week till third week is standard.

Gonna be quieter this time around- not many folks doing the shoe show WSA, But expect lines at the high end spots 14-18th when the clothing show MAGIC is in town.