We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffet virgin- with a question!!

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Buffet virgin- with a question!!

I've never been to a buffet before so i hope to go to at least one in Vegas. But what i want to know is how exactly they work. Can you go and refill your plate a few times or do you only get one chance to pick what you will eat??

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

You pay your money and then can (if you so desire) make yourself ill by returning for more food as many times as your stomach allows....... :-)

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

Nope, you get as many chances as you want. But you do use a clean plate each time. Just leave the dirty plate on the table and they will come and remove it for you.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

in general, they will serve different foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. so if you arrive late for breakfast, you may find lunch foods appearing on your second trip thru the line. Like wise, they may start with dinner foods at 4PM.

In many cases buffets may have two serving lines with different foods or a series of serving stations.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

Remember soft drinks are included in the price, wine etc you have to pay for.

You can also get refills on your soft drinks, will depend how busy your server is whether they notice that you might want more. You should tip a dollar or two per person after the buffet too! Just leave it on the table.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

Waiting around/timing it for a changeover is a big waste of time, but generally the best value is 11-3 lunch pricing. Lunch and dinner offerings are almost exactly the same, lunch hours at 1/3rd lower cost.

Relax, take your time to look over what is offered, and pick out the most appetizing items, so you're not already full when you see something great.

Multiple fills of multiple beverages included; lemonade, Orange juice, coffee, Pepsi,etc.

Stick to this list, do not waste time on lesser buffets;

Planet Hollywood, Paris, Mandalay Bay, Rio, Mirage.

Wynn, Bellagio in premium pricing

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

tip $2 or 2+ pp

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

When people talk about there been a queue for a buffet, do they mean a queue to pay for the food as you go in, or a queue to get to the food?

Just wondering if you wanted to go up for seconds/desserts, would you have to get in a long queue again?

yes, another buffet virgin as you can probably tell!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,516 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

"When people talk about there been a queue for a buffet, do they mean a queue to pay for the food as you go in, or a queue to get to the food?"

They mean for paying and getting a table. Once you're in, there may be a few (like 7-8 max) people in front of you at any given time, but you're not queueing for food really. Most places have food "stations", you're not in one large line for food but rather going from "seafood over here" to "salads over there" to "desserts over here" :)

(My personal opinion is that none of the buffets are worth waiting in line for more than 15 minutes, I've got more entertaining things to do in Las Veags than that - I either go early when there's no queue or I dine elsewhere)

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

You have to wait to get seated,

but do NOT have to 1)wait for an order to be taken, then 2)wait to be brought a single platter, usually high in fat and monotonous, then 3) wait for the check, or 3a) wait for it to be brought back to complete the payment.

You will spend less total time, and get a more satisfying, more healthful meal at a lower cost than a regular restaurant

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Level Contributor
455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buffet virgin- with a question!!

Well, whether you'll get a more "healthful" meal certainly depends on your choices. Somehow, I always tend to gravitate toward the starches, sweets, meats and seafood, rather than the veggies and the salads. I tend to go all out at buffets (which is why I don't frequent them too often)