We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

SANTA ROSA
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

Hi Folks,

We will be enjoying a long weekend but leaving Vegas on Sunday. I have heard that traffic ging out of town is terrible. We will be taking I-15 toward LA and Bakerfield. Any experience or feedback?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

If I leave around 8:00 on a Tuesday night I can make it to Orange County in 4 hours. On a Sunday afternoon this same drive can take 10 hours. (That is how long it took my wife to return on Thanksgiving weekend one year.) Granted that is an extreme case, but all it takes is one accident at the wrong place and that freeway becomes a parking lot.

People say it's best to leave by 8:00 a.m. in the morning, or wait until 6:00 p.m. at night. The hours in between are the worst.

SANTA ROSA
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

Thanks VegasMan, any back roads out of town in that direction?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

Thier are no real backroads that help. I agree with VM though about time on Sunday. I am usually driving the opposite direction on Sunday - and I would hate to be in the LA bound traffic. I would highly recommend leaving later in the day for the drive into LA -

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

If you have the time and don't mind adding the extra miles to your trip. Drive down to Laughlin, then take the 40 to Barstow and the 58 to Bakersfield. Would probably add an extra 100 miles to your trip, but it would be almost free of traffic. The other option is taking the 95 and 373 towards Death Valley and then the 127 ending up in Baker, CA. This is about a 250 mile route and Las Vegas to Baker is 90 miles.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
153 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Traffic leaving Vegas (I-15)

I lived in OC for 2 years and did the drive about once every 2 months. We typically left vegas just before noon. If it is a normal weekend, I would say that is fine. But if you are talking memorial day or any holiday, then, definitely leave by 8AM. But, all this means nothing if there is even one small accident, then the 15 turns into a parking lot.