We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Kingsport, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

We are renting a home in Whitefish the first week of August. I would appreciate your advice regarding our flight options.

Option 1: Fly to Kaiispell with 2 connections arriving at 11:47 p.m. Fifteen minute drive to our rental. (We are coming from the Eastern time zone, so it will be 1:47 a.m. to us.)

Option 2: Fly to Missoula with 1 connection. We can do the 2.5 hour drive to the rental and arrive about 10 p.m.

Our first preference was option 2, but we've heard driving 93 at night might not be wise due to all the wildlife.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Another option would be to fly into Spokane which could be direct or 1 stop and then make the beautiful 5 hour drive to Whitefish- we found this very affordable coming from east coast and the drive up thru Polson and Flathead lake was beautiful!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Check out flight schedules and fares on TA. Also look at Southwest airlines from Nashville- good fares when they have a special and only 1 stop usually.

When we came to Glacier and Whitefish in August 2010 we flew into Spokane.

Polson, Montana
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Hwy 93 isn't that bad. I drive it every day. From Missoula to Polson the road has been re-done and it is rare to see wildlife on the road. You might see a deer or two, but honestly as many times as I have driven it I rarely see anything.

From Polson to Whitefish there is a greater chance of seeing deer. They are pretty much the only wildlife we worry about on the roads. You didn't mention if you would be getting in at 10pm Montana time or midnight your time. If it is 10pm (8pm MT time) your time, then you won't be driving in the dark, so wildlife wouldn't really be an issue. If it is 10pm Montana time and midnight your time, fly into Kalispell and save yourself the trouble of the long drive. Driving from Missoula is nice - you would go past the Bison Range and maybe get to see buffalo, you would also come through Polson and see Flathead Lake. There are a couple of "ahhh" moments - one coming over Ravalli Hill when you first see the mountains and one coming down Polson hill when you first see the lake.

Spokane is an option, and probably cheaper, but by the time you get the rental car and gas, going over the two passes and then making the two-lane drive toward Whitefish, I don't think it would be worth it. Honestly, the drive from Spokane to Whitefish really isn't that pretty!

north of england
Level Contributor
62 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Hello, just read your post on trip advisor, you sound like you know alot about Montana. We are from the UK and planning a trip in the not too distant future. We hope to fly into Rapid City SD and go west visiting Deadwood, Billings, Cody, maybe Jackson, Yellowstone, and Missoula or Helena and Whitfish. We would like to spend a few days in White fish before heading back to Deadwood and Rapid city for our flight back. We realise the area is vast, even bigger then we ever imagined but this is my husbands well waited for trip and I doubt we will be coming again so have to make it count!! Can you please offer us any advice, like whats the best way to get to Whitefish from the south of Montana, and maybe places we have to miss out if its too far. We don't really want to drive on real high mountain passes or anywhere real secluded due to me being a wimp! Would appreciate any advice you could give to have a 3 week safe vacaction in your wonderful country. Thankyou.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Welcome, Duck72! This is a great place to get help, and the first bit of advice is to create a whole new post with your inquiry, not to tack your questions on to this older post. You will get more responses, and information directed to your needs. Post it under "Montana" to cover the whole state. For the South Dakota and Wyoming portions of your trip, putting more specific posts for those states might be good too.

north of england
Level Contributor
62 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

Thanks River Days, will try that, we are not coming yet for a while but its gonna take some planning all the way from the UK. Thanks again

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

From the south of Montana to Whitefish.. two options:

Go west on I-90 - flat freeway express all the way to Missoula. Then Take highway 93 North to Whitefish.. pretty scenic. .mostly 2 -4 lane travel all the way. No passes really.

From Billings- it should take you about 5 hours if you just cruise through.

WIth stops, meals- rest.. it's a pretty good drive - most of the day. But it's very scenic and lots of little stops.

Other option: I-90 from Billings west bound all the way to Three Forks- north to Townsend/Helena. From Helena- Take I-15 North, several options to cut off of I-15 North, (again,pretty flat expansive driving ) but make your way to East Glacier- U.S 2 - Go west on U.S 2 - you will be on the southern edge of Glacier National Park.. Drive is very scenic, and while it's not the Going to the Sun Road- which might not be something for you if you don't like if you don't like high mountain passes, U.S 2 is very scenic and well traveled and a "easy pass" by Montana standards. U.S 2 West will take you right to Whitefish.

Both options are full day of driving from Billings.. but with many stop over locations for meals, gas, and sight seeing.

Whitefish, Montana...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

I would say fly into kalispell if you can. I wouldn't be too worried about animals but the road is windy/narrow/elevated in places it's really not fun to drive in the dark if you're not familiar with it. Also, the speed limit fluctuates wildly as you go through the small towns which is harder to spot at night (and believe me the cops are bored enough to pull you over for even small infractions). However, as one other poster mentioned if you'll be arriving whitefish around 10pm it's not going to be dark. In august in MT the sun doesn't even set until 9:30 or so and it'll be light enough to see much later than that due to our far north location.

9. Re: Fly into Kalispell or Missoula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 15:01
Get answers to your questions about Whitefish