We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

First of all, I want to apologize way in advance for such a question that I can't believe I am going to have to ask in this day and age, but here I go:

My family & I are biracial, Caucasian & African-American heritage. We are planning a trip to YNP. I wanted to know how receptive are people who reside in Montana, Idaho, & Wyoming of other cultures that they are not apart of?

We are planning to go to a Native American festival and I was curious about what some people's reactions would be.

I am deeply sorry for asking such an idiotic question but it is very important to explain to my 3 & 9 yo neice and nephew about some people's reactions who do not embrace all cultures. I am not saying that we would encounter this, but this will be our first time in the areas.

Thank you so much for the advice. My intention is not to offend anyone. I just want to become further educated. This is why I travel so I won't have those prejudgement perceptions of people, regardless of race.

Thank you

Camden, South...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

There's no segregation of any kind in those states that I've seen. I lived in Wyoming, traveling all around Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and Idaho. I've never seen a more relaxed and open-minded people. I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio... so I do know what racial profiling is. Although there aren't many blacks in Wyoming and Montana, everyone seems to get along just fine. Why can't everyone else learn from this?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

Session...........I have friends in ID and I have been going there for 40 years. I live in an area that racial issues are part of our lives but I have friends that are Caucasian and African American marriages. If we can survive that here you can certainly get along fine in ID and MT which are two great states. I second the mention of some nasty characters in ID but they are not all in N Idaho. The ones I met were in Central ID but that area is very desolate with lots of big forests.

I wish you the best of luck and have a great trip. Do not worry. Good luck.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

Ubfortuneatly that did happen in Spokanealthough the guy didn't live here he is an aryan nation kind. In Couer d'Alene Idaho now they are harassing Mexican run taco/Mexican stands. There are occasional reports from there of mixed couples or non whites cars being painted with hate sayings, crosses on an a lawn and so forth.

There are pockets of these people in the US but there are also places that don't have much of a problem.

However I agree with some of the other posters that you won't be bothered as a visitor. Just go and have a good time.

Zenophobia is an ugly thing.

Collie

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

Thank you all for responding. I am very excited about our trip and hope to take all of your comments into consideration by meeting new people. I love to interact with various cultures and ask questions. I don't mind anyone asking me, either. I believe that is how you learn to acquire knowledge. Thank you so much.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

By all means make the trip. If anything were to happen it would probably be so subtle was to go over the heads of the kids. An even then only likely if stopping inthe smallest of towns far from freeway. My 100% Swedish wife and I are about as white as it gets and even we have been made uncomfortable in cafes in small towns. Just for being "not from around here." If people are going to be jerks they're going to just be that way and you just dust off the sandals and move on.

For the 9yo the experience could be truly mind opening about how vast and interesting this country really is. Light a fire in their imagination.

16. Re: Are there any Racial Issues in MT, ID, or WY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:49
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone