We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

Elmsford, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

I will be passing through in April with my cousin. We would like to stay near the park for at least one night. We would like to do some snowmobiling while we are there. This is my dillema...we prefer self guided tours, and I have read that we can only do that outside the park. We were thinking of doing one day guided in the park and one day outside the park. Logistical speaking, which town should we stay in? Also which town is the most fun overall including nightlife??

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

It won't matter which town you stay in, there will be no snowmobile tours in Yellowstone in April. All over snow activity shuts down on March 15th per the Yellowstone website.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Elmsford, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

Ok. Let's nix the park idea and go with outside the park. Which area has the nicest trails and most wildlife viewing?

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

Where will you be passing through? Cooke City may have the best snowmobiling but you can only get to it by going the route of Livingstone, Gardiner, Cooke City which would be a long ways from say, Jackson. I hope that someone who lives in the area and snowmobiles can help you further. There may be other areas that are closer to your route that might better fit your schedule.

Elmsford, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

Well this is the story... I will be driving cross country to san Francisco, and I always wanted to see Yellowstone. I understand that only the north road will be open to motor vehicles, and I would at least like to see lamar valley and mammoth springs. Would also like to incorporate some Snowmobiling, but I guess it will have to be outside the park. I guess either Gardner or cody? Or cooke city would be the options. I don't really have a schedule, but I am open to staying at least one day maybe more. As far as Snowmobiling goes, self guided with wildlife and views is what I am looking for.

Thanks

Butte
Level Contributor
258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

I would suggest Cooke city, mid april, will have seen a lot of snowmelt at lower levels. The majority of any winter activities are usually over by this time

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

As a snowmobile rental operator in West Yellowstone, I will say that time of year is completely dependant on snow conditions. Although we have had years that we've rented snowmobiles into May, we are usually finishing the season around mid-April. The problem isn't usually a lack of snow, it's the first few miles of snowmobile trail will get down to dirt or mud before everything else deteriorates. Once you get past those first miles, you can have an amazing day seeing places like Two Top mountain, and Big Springs, the headwaters of the Snake River. Best advise, when you get near the are, call and see how conditions are.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

You could also consider Togwotee Mountain Lodge. They rent snow machines for unguided rides. They get about 50 feet of snow a year, so they're likely to still have good snow coverage in April. You might want to contact them to see how late they plan to stay open this season.

http://www.togwoteesnowmobile.com/

The other possibility is to enter the park at Mammoth and drive across to Cooke City, seeing the Lamar Valley on the way. Then do some snowmobiling near Cooke City.

8. Re: yellowstone in april...which town to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone