We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chuckwagon dinner show

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
chuckwagon dinner show

Hi, I found a show in Roosevelt/Tower area in the park. We are staying at Yellowstone KOA in West Yellowstone. Is this too far of a drive. Is it only reachable by traveling through the park? Or can I leave West Yellowstone and take highway up and around to North entrance and down into park again? My concern is driving back at night through the actual park. I could meander that way from West to Roosevelt during the day...but it's the drive home. Any help would be appreciated, or if you know of something comparable closer to West Y.

Thanks!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

I looked at the West Yellowstone website and didn't see any chuckwagon dinners there.

Personally, I wouldn't drive that far (Roosevelt) for the dinner. It's fun, but not worth the long drive back to West. Driving through the park wouldn't be advisable after dark, as you've already noted. Going outside the park to get back would take you close to 4 hours - an hour to get to Gardiner and then about 3 hours up and around from there.

Will you be spending any time in either Grand Teton or Jackson on this trip? There are several good companies that do the dinners in that area.

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

oh my! i'm just beginning to get a sense of how far apart things are and the drive times. yes, we are doing some things in Jackson Hole so I can look there. Regarding, JH. How far of a drive is it from West Yellowstone? Am I also facing same problem of night driving for my return after a day's events?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

Yes - it would be about a 3 hour drive from Jackson to West, going over the mountain pass into ID and then up to MT. About the same driving through both Grand Teton and YNP - not something you want to do after dark. It really isn't a "day trip" - you'd be better off planning a night or 2 in Jackson to see that area.

It would be helpful for you to become familiar with either Mapquest or Google maps to get a better idea of distances in this area.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

I would not use the West YS KOA as a base for Jackson and the Tetons. If you spend a night or 2 in the Tetons at Colter Bay area...you can then do a Chuckwagon meal in the Jackson area.

The KOA in W YS has a bbq nightly. This would probably be just as fun as driving hours for a mediocre meal. If you are traveling with kids...they would enjoy a bbq with burgers, dogs and smore's at your campground. Plus after visiting the park all day...you will be tired. Between the altitude and the exercise...bed time will be early.

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

Thanks so much everyone~ yep, planning a day/night in JH now:)

West Yellowstone...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

Parade Rest Ranch - 10 miles west of west yellowstone. Has a chicken or steak dinner just call in advance due to weather conditions.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

be very careful driving at nite. drove around bend about 30 mph in the road strolled a huge male buffalo in the middle of the road just waited for him to go to the side of the road. two reasons HE has the right of way and do not want tomake him mad and ram car LOL.

8. Re: chuckwagon dinner show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2012, 10:50
Get answers to your questions about West Yellowstone