We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

Our first trip to Yellowstone is planned for June 28 - July 4th.

We are staying the first two nights at the Bridge Bay campgrounds, then moving to Canyon Campgrounds for the last four nights.

I can see on weather.com that the forecast for the first day, June 28th is RAIN!! We are in a tent-trailer and don't want to spend the whole time hunkered down inside. However, we have a toddler and don't want to be out getting her wet.

I'll be sure to bring ponchos, but can anyone recommend Yellowstone activities we can do in the rain?

Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

Oops, we're in Grant Village first, then Canyon.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

I am not kidding as I say this... go outside anyway. Use caution if there is lightning, but otherwise, dress appropriately, walk the thermal trails, drive to and see the wildlife, from the car if necessary, in the Lamar and Hayden Valleys. In other words, never mind the weather. Enjoy YNP. You will.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

"rain" in this area could simply mean summer afternoon thundershowers which occur in some parts of the Park and not in others. The same goes if it is a rainy day...it will be that way in one part of the Park and not another.

That said, here are some inside things to do-

* Don't miss the new Canyon Visitor's center with the Supervolcano display

* If you are a history buff, go to the Yellowstone Historic Center just north of the NW entrance in Gardiner. They have some displays but the librarians can find all kinds of neat things to look at or read depending on your interests.

* The Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center or IMAX in West Yellowstone (west gate)

* Relax in the lobby of the Lake Hotel sipping a coffee.

* Go to the Old Faithful Inn and look for these thingshttp://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9646-Top_Ten_Things_to_do_while_at_the_Old.html

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

I love the rain in the mountains as long as the lightning isn't around. Visitor Centers are great places to visit, plus playing family games in the rv is fun too! Cards and Yahtzee!!

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

The weather forecast for the end of this week is looking hot, dry, and only afternoon showers if that.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I guess Yellowstone lives up to its reputation: unpredictable!! Now the forecast says sunny and hot and I like that much better!

I've printed this info and will take it just in case an afternoon shower pops up.

Thanks again!

7. Re: Rain Forecasted: What to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:49