We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

A group of us will be visiting West Yellowstone in February. Checking rt flights from Atlanta, it’s very pricey to fly into Bozeman so thinking SLC is the better hub. That said, are their buses linking SLC to West Yellowstone or should we just rent a van/cars?

4 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,025 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

Oh my word. This is a 5-5.5 hour drive in good weather. If you hit a winter storm you could be delayed. Does anyone have winter driving experience?

There is a very unhandy bus system called the Salt Lake Express. You'd have to change buses in Rexburg ID. The times they give for Feb look like summer travel times and I can't imagine they'll make it that quickly in winter.

https://saltlakeexpress.com/

Please don't do this. SLC works fine for summer but for winter, just pay the extra money and fly in to Bozeman. You could drive from Bozeman to West Yellowstone (yep, I did that when I lived in FL before I moved to Idaho and got a lot of winter driving in) or you can take the Karst Stage shuttle from Bozeman to West Yellowstone.

www.karststage.com

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
1 review
2. Re: Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

Salt Lake Express runs a shuttle bus system from Salt Lake Airport to West Yellowstone. I checked their website putting in February 12th as a date. On that date, the bus leaves the airport at 10 am in the morning and arrives at West Yellowstone at 5 pm. There was also a bus that left Salt Lake Airport at 10:30 pm arriving at West Yellowstone at 7:55 am the morning of the 13th. Both routes were $66 per adult. I would imagine the return trip to Salt Lake City would be $66 too so a round trip cost of $132 plus taxes per person would be added onto your overall trip cost.

https://saltlakeexpress.com/

How many people are in your group? Are you planning on just doing snowcoach/snowmobile tours while staying in West Yellowstone or are you planning on doing other activities that will need a vehicle to transport your group? Sometimes, while it may not be cost effective, it's more time effective to rent a vehicle to drive as you're able to do it on your own timeline and not wait around for a scheduled departure. Lots of pros and cons to think about when making a decision of what works best for your group.

**Edited to Add: I see that Pam has had her coffee this morning and is quicker on the keys this morning then I am. LOL

Deb

Edited: 23 September 2018, 21:24
Palm Bay, Florida
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

What about the drive from Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone in January?

Thanks!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February

It's easily 3 hours in the best of conditions. You have to go over Teton Pass which is at about 8500 feet elevation. Many variables here...do you have a lot of winter driving experience? What kind of vehicle will you be driving? Will you insure that it has at least M+S rated tires with at least 1/8" tread depth? Of course it all depends on the weather...you could easily encounter this.....see link.

planetjh.com/wp-content/…IMG_2411-1.jpg

Edited: 29 September 2018, 23:21
Reply to: Transportation from SLC to West Yellowstone in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted