We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Yellowstone in late October

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
West Yellowstone in late October

Hello TA family. I will be using West Yellowstone as base camp for my adventures into the park the 3rd week in October. I see 3 Bears restaurant will be closed. Do a lot of businesses close shop this time of year ? Curious as to what I can expect for restaurants,groceries,gas,and early morning (5-6 am) coffee. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,963 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

During the time between summer and winter seasons some hotels and restaurants do close.

Late October is at the very end of the season for Yellowstone and after first week of Nov only one road open between Mammoth and Cooke City.

Dunraven Pass road will already be closed earlier in October. Of course all this is weather dependent.

You need to check weather and road conditions before you enter the park. Last year wintry weather and road closures began mid September.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

I'm hoping the weather holds,although I do realize there's a good chance for closures. Do you know if the basics are mostly available in West Yellowstone during this time frame ? (Restaurants,groceries,gas)

Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,963 posts
508 reviews
3. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

Check with Chamber of Commerce or hopefully one of locals will post.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
1 review
4. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

>>>Do you know if the basics are mostly available in West Yellowstone during this time frame ? (Restaurants,groceries,gas)<<<

Yes, the basics are mostly available in late October. While there are some businesses that shut down in the "off-season" it's still a town with around 1,200 people in it so there has to be basic services available year-round.

Deb

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
5. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

Thank you Deb & Peach.

Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

Many businesses will be closed at this time, but there will be a few restaurants open (check with the Chamber of Commerce for a list of those open), both of the grocery stores and most of the gas stations will be open. As for coffee at 5 or 6am, it will be gas station or hotel coffee unless you make your own, coffee shops around here don't open until 8am or later.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
87 reviews
7. Re: West Yellowstone in late October

Thanks Charlotte. I may very well bring a coffee pot and burner. Priorities !

Reply to: West Yellowstone in late October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted