We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Just a caution against blindly trusting Viator tours for you or your family. Although the tours themselves are probably all well done by the companies/individuals that provide them, Viator can be very deceptive in the listing of the tours. We booked a tour on their website that was listed as a tour for Yellowstone Park, only to discover that the tour was 5hrs outside of Yellowstone itself. When I contacted them this was the response. First they checked it while talking to me on the phone and said quote "You are correct sir, it is listed as a Yellowstone Park Tour". Their next move was to remove the tour from their page. That was good for future customers, but also an admission of guilt that they had not done ANY research before listing, but whatever. Then received an email saying, sorry but tour is non refundable your reservation is still in place. So even though they obviously falsely represented the tour, they were unwilling to give even a credit.

Be aware of these practices by VIATOR and research thoroughly before booking, or use one of several other companies to book your vacation plans.

9 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
1 review
1. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

if you havea single post come here to complain I wonder about the legitimacy of the post

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
1 review
2. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Thanks for the warning. It really drives home that people need to research 3rd party reservation groups before going through them. I get the benefit of going through one company for multiple tours but making reservations directly through the company that provides the tour is best.

A couple a years ago there was a thread on here where a man from outside the country was using Viator to plan his trip to the park. I had never heard of the company before then.

What was the name of the tour that you took? It will be interesting to see if they really do take it off their offerings.

I'm so sorry that the tour was not for where you thought it was going to be. That had to be a let down. Where did the tour take you? Other than not realizing it was outside Yellowstone Park, did you enjoy it?

Deb

Edited: 13 August 2018, 19:40
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

So many do not realize Viator is a tour consolidator not a tour provider. In almost every instance the original tour provider can be determined and the booking can go directly thru them instead of funneling thru a 3rd party.

It's like using 3rd party online travel agents for airline and hotel bookings as well. It's generally best to go directly to the source and not insert another agency in the midst of things.

Thanks for posting. I 100% believe your experience. I do suggest for your next trip you use the TA forums for your location and get advice from the posters there BEFORE you book anything. ALL US National Parks have their separate forums with experienced travelers posting advice...for free. This forum is for a gateway city to Yellowstone, there is an actual Yellowstone forum on the Wyoming forum as most of Yellowstone lies within that state.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

It's legit. Believe it or not, that's up to you. Hope it works out for you.....

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
5. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Thanks. It was a 2hr boat tour that ended up being in big horn canyon in Lovell Wyoming. They told me if I went to the tour groups site, it told me that. Said nothing about it on their "yellowstone" tour page. We won't be going on the tour although it would probably be nice, 10hrs of driving isn't going to make it worth it. I did check the yellowstone tour page. I am curious to see if they add it back later.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
1 review
6. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Kbrock,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what tour. Yeah, that is a long ways from Yellowstone Park!

Again, I am so sorry you book the tour without realizing how far from Yellowstone Park is was and that Viator won't give you a refund.

Hopefully, the rest of your vacation went (or is going) well.

Deb

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Holy cow! That is not by any stretch of the imagination "Yellowstone".

If you haven't finished your Yellowstone vacation yet, there are boat rides on Yellowstone Lake provided by Xanterra, the lodging concessioner.

https:/…

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
8. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Thanks for all the comments and help. I am going to check Xanterra!

Oddly enough, a emailed Viator and told them about this board and here was the new response:

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for your e-mail and feedback. We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this issue has caused you by the tour being listed from the wrong location on our website.

At this time however, as a gesture of goodwill we are able to offer a full refund. A total of $84.00 has been refunded to the credit card on file.

Please note that it may take 3-7 business days for this refund to appear on your credit card, depending on your individual bank.

Regards,

Donna

Viator Customer Service

I have no doubt that the change of heart was due to comments they found on this forum. Thanks again and hopefully most people aren't as naive and trusting as I apparently was and do some extra research as suggested here.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!

Oh, that is excellent that you are getting a refund! I don't see it as a *gesture of goodwill* - I see it as refunding money for a tour listed in a false location.

I also linked this thread to another forum where someone was asking about whether Viator was reliable or not (not for the Yellowstone area).

Thanks for letting us know the outcome!

I wonder if you would mind cross posting a summary of this on the Yellowstone forum? Most people visiting the area will be reading over there and might not see (or search for) the information on the Montana forum. It would be great if you used Viator in the title as you did here so it would make it easily searchable for others.

https:/…ShowForum-g28973-i480-Wyoming.html

Reply to: Viator Tours Caution!!!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted