We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

I would like to do this in February.

I don't want to drive.

What other alternatives are there?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Wow, even in summer I'm not sure this would easily work out unless you had a car.

You could fly from Bozeman to Jackson but it would be awkward, probably involving flying back to a regional hub like Salt Lake City, then on to Jackson. I believe Delta and United are airlines that fly to both cities, but I am not 100% sure on that.

One option I can think of is to see if you can hire private transport to take you there. Here is a link to the airport shuttle in Bozeman. They do not appear to have regular runs from Bozeman to Jackson but you might be able to charter them to do so. I am guessing it would be outrageously expensive.

http://www.karststage.com/index.php

What are you doing in Bozeman? Are you visiting Yellowstone? You might be able to put together a Karst stage to West Yellowstone or Mammoth, then a snow coach tour to Old Faithful where you would have to spend the night, then take a snow coach to the south entrance of the park then hook up with transport to Jackson from there. There are limited seats on the snow coaches at the best of times as well as very limited lodging at Mammoth and Old Faithful, so at this date you might find them fully booked. This would need to be carefully orchestrated with reservations for every piece.

If you do decide to do a car hire, this is a route where you would expect to encounter winter driving conditions the entire way. You would need to check weather forecasts very carefully before you set out and be ready to cancel or postpone travel if a storm blows in.

Pam

Edited: 10 December 2011, 21:32
USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

You could hire a private plane out of Bozeman. I would guess it would cost about $1500, but maybe less if you could hitch a ride with someone else making the trip, or a party in Jackson picking up the return.

Edited: 10 December 2011, 22:08
Bozeman
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Flying in by far the quickest and easiest. As D0bby mentioned, you would hop down to either Denver (UA) or Salt Lake City (DL) then back up again to Jackson. If you get lucky with scheduling it could only be 3 hours. But costs won't be cheap for a one way ticket.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

three ways....

Plane

Car

Bus

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Jeannie, I couldnt find a bus schedule from Bozeman to Jackson for the OP. Could you share that?

Pam

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Actually, I just assumed a bus travels this route, but maybe not. Research Bozeman to West Yellowstone then West to Idaho Falls then Idaho Falls to Jackson. Long day or even maybe two for this trip and February is cold, high snow and difficult roads.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

Thanks Jeannie. I wondered if I had missed something. I had done quite a bit of looking for bus service, and it looked like something would be possible in the summer when the SLC Express runs, but that is not available in winter.

Altho the OP hasn't been back she/he is from United Kingdom and would likely have no idea of where to start looking for bus lines in Montana, thus the original post.

Pam

8. Re: Travelling from Bozeman to Jackson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 15:46
Get answers to your questions about Bozeman