We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from Denver

geolforall
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
road trip from Denver

I am travelling in Sept. I am flying into Denver on a Wed and need to be in Billings on Sat. afternoon. (I plan to tour Custer Battlefield on Sat. morning.) I am wondering what are some "must sees" along the way. I really would like to go to Devil's Tower. I am wondering if I should go to Badlands or Black Hills or Deadwood? Is Chimney Rock Nebraska interesting? Any other spots I may have missed...I do only have Thurs and Fri

Thanks

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from Denver

You could go to Rocky Mtn NP in Colorado or the Black Hills but not both. Devils Tower is cool, but does not take long to see. Since you're going to the Battlefield, take the route through Broadus and Lame Deer so you can inform yourself more on the current life of the area.

Thermopolis is a good stop, and the Bighorn scenic overlook near Lovell is not to be missed, in my opinion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,307 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from Denver

You could easily do the Black Hills and on thru Deadwood and Custer Battlefield then to Billings in the time you have. Here is a website with travel info for the Black Hills-

www.travelsd.com

and click on Black Hills.

From Denver you can make it to Keystone, SD in about 6 hours. If you decide to do RMNP then it can easily be done in a day or two then you would have a long drive to Billings. RMNP to Billings is about a 8-9 hours of just driving not counting stopping for lunch or breaks.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
501 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from Denver

I really enjoyed seeing Mt. Rushmore, driving through Custer SP, and visiting Devil's Tower. Mt. Rushmore during the day has a trail you can hike, but you also want to see Mt. Rushmore lit up at night. They also have a night program I believe. When we flew into Denver, we arrived early 8AM or 9AM, we arrived in Rapid City in the late afternoon. We made the mistake of eating a little long before heading to Mt. Rushmore to see it at night. We arrived as the night program was ending. Two days later we made our day trip to Rushmore.

With Custer SP, we just drove through the park. Didn't see the whole thing due to time issues, but saw enough. We ended up heading to Deadwood after the day visit to Rushmore and Custer SP. Wife and I wanted to eat, but a lot of places in Deadwood allowed smoking. So we left while others in our party stayed to gamble (we aren't die hard gamblers) and we went to Spearfish to eat.

Badlands NP is a neat place. About a half day for Badlands and Wall Drug. Devil's Tower is a must. Very cool place that is basically in the middle no where. There is a one mile hike around the base of the tower (very easy hike, almost more like a walk). There is also a five mile longer hike further out from the tower.

We also went to the Battlefield. We didn't do that much there. Most people just stayed and checked out the stuff near the parking lot/visitor's center.

geolforall
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from Denver

Thank you! This was a great help!

5. Re: road trip from Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Billings