We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
110 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

We have 3 full days in St. Louis in September with our almost 3 year old. We are planning a Cardinals game, Grant's Farm +/- St. Louis Zoo, and Magic House or City Museum. Specifically which of the later 2 is a must do? And should we try to do Grant's Farm AND the zoo?? Any other must do's I'm missing???

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

I think you have a good itinerary in mind. Grants Farm can be done before lunch pretty easily. I say go ahead and go there in addition to the zoo. Of course the zoo is a must see, but Grant's Farm is also worth going to for these reasons:

- Your 3-yr-old will get to feed to goats (best to arrive early - they get full)

- The shows are good (animal encounters and elephant show)

- I understand the up close elephant experience is very good (can't remember what they call it). I think it's $5 per person.

- I love the carriage collection and the beer garden that dates back to the early 1900's. It's easy to miss the carriages, so ask if you can't find them.

For a 3-yr-old, I'd recommend the Magic House over the City Museum.

The only place I'd recommend for a 3-yr-old is the Butterfly House. It's a lot of fun, especially for kids that age.

Have a great trip! (Don't forget to leave us a trip report so we'll know what you liked and didn't like.)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

Grant's Farm is wonderful for a little one as is the Magic House and Zoo. I'd stay clear of City Museum. It is a great place but not for little ones. Be careful not to over do it- those are all places you could spend a majority of the day and be exhausted afterwards!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
110 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

Thanks! Helpful tips! I'll try to post after the trip. :)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
274 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

I agree with the Magic House recommendation for a child of that age. 5 and older, it would be hands down the City Museum.

Make sure you check out the butterfly house at the zoo. Get there right when they open and you can park for free along the street at the north entrance. You'll be really close to the stingrays then too and you can hit that first. The line can be bad for that on some days. Have a great trip!

5. Re: Magic house or City museum, other top stops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 10:48