We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Traditions

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Traditions

I am looking into a one day trip to St. Charles for their Christmas Traditions. Has anyone been there for that before? Is it worth spending the day there? what are the best things to see and do there during this time?

thanks for any information and advise you can provide!!

11 replies to this topic
Eureka, Missouri
Level Contributor
316 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Traditions

In my opinion the evening hours are the best times for visiting St. Charles. The Christmas lights and the darkness add a lot to the holiday atmosphere. Aside from that, there is plenty of shopping and dining to occupy your time. The costumed characters and carolers add to the festive feel. I don't think you will be disappointed which ever time you choose.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Traditions

Thank you!!

Swansea, Illinois
Level Contributor
91 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Traditions

We like to start out in the early afternoon, around 2 or 3 pm. We browse the shops and get an early dinner, then around dusk we wander Main Street and check out the lights and outdoor entertainment. As it gets dark, it gets more crowded and you can't get inside some of the smaller shops easily. Also, keep in mind that the sidewalks are brick or cobblestone and in some places, tree roots are causing the bricks to become loose and uneven. If anyone in your party is elderly or has a hard time walking, you will need to use extra caution after dark.

And YES - it is totally worth spending the day in Historic St Charles!! If you go to their website you can print out a map of the shops, schedule of events, etc. Have a great time!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Traditions

Thanks! Sounds like it would be worth the trip!

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
749 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Traditions

My family loves visiting during this time. The kids love the St Nick parade in the afternoon and then we have lunch and shop for a bit. We usually clear out before it gets dark, so because of the crowds. Regardless of what time of day you choose, I think you will be happy with your decision to give it a try.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Traditions

Weekends are the most crowded, even in the evenings. There are some nights during the week that the shops are supposed to be open. Also, the Santa's and other characters will be there on the week nights as well.

In the evenings there are many different horse drawn carriage rides available. Check different ones because they are all different prices. They also have designated places where they drop off.

This year there will also be tickets for drawings at participating merchants. This is put on by the CVB and the prizes will be really good. The participating businesses will be all over St. Charles, not just on Main Street.

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
749 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Traditions

Anyone done this the weekend after Thanksgiving, I'm curious how busy it is? We usually go the beginning of December, but this year all the weekends are pretty full so it looks like the weekend after Thanksgiving might be our only shot at it.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Traditions

I went last year the night after Thanksgiving. It was definitely crowded but we had a good time. It's not as crowded during the day as it is at night. Go and enjoy, it is worth the trip. The city parking garage is now open so that should help with the parking situation.

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
749 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Traditions

Awesome..Thanks! Where is the parking garage? We usually park over by the Katy Trail area, but it can be hard to find a spot back there sometimes.

Missouri
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Traditions

When does it start? We're staying 11/22-11/23

Reply to: Christmas Traditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Charles
Recent Conversations