We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Indiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Considering making the trip for a chiefs game. It is a scheduled noon start. There are limited flights home, so my question is ---- can I go to the game and still catch a 6:00 flight back?

Normally NFL games run about 3.5 hours, so figure I'd get out of the game by 4. How long is the drive from a hotel around the stadium to the airport? Will trafic on that route be slow. Just deciding whether I can make the trip. Thanks.

Indiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Thanks everyone, made a reservation in the Plaza and we'll head out on Monday morning. If we end up going for sure, I'll get back with this group for more help. Thanks so much!!

Kansas
Level Contributor
461 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Your choice of a hotel in the Plaza is a good idea- as is heading home Monday. College football watching in Kansas City is quite popular in that it tends to be centered in neighborhood bars. MU, KU, K-State, Nebraska, Iowa and more all have large, loyal followings and they all have a sprinkling of "hard-core" local pubs that have a weekly watch party. If any of those teams are involved in a game you are interested in, there is a strong chance you could find a neighborhood bar to join in the party. Kansas City has some great neighborhoods and that experience is the perfect compliment to an Arrowhead Experience. If that is not your thing, try Fred P. Otts or Granfalloon on the Plaza or the new Power and Light District (downtown)- lots of places there and an outdoor big screen with games on.

FYI, I have been a Chiefs season ticket holder for years and have travelled with the team to numerous away games. You absolutely must come to game early and wander around the lot visiting with tail-gaters, they are rated among the best year in and year out, regardless of how the team is doing. Bring a camera, as to take a photo with the locals and you'll probably be offered some BBQ and maybe a beer!

Also, Arrowhead is under construction. The seating areas are unaffected but the parking lots are a discombobulated- in and out is always a challenge- now it can be a nightmare, take a cab or check with hotel- many in the Plaza run a shuttle, if yours doesn't, others might. Finally, as far as "fights", there are very few problems here but loud and rude never goes over real well- celebrating is fine- taunting is not appreciated, remember this once proud team and its fans are hurting right now. Have a great time.

Indiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Thanks Shorty, very helpful. While we'll be wearing our Giants Blue, we never taunt but do cheer for our team. Glad to hear it will be a good place to watch the game with my daughter. Good suggestions for dinners and watching games.

I'll begin my search for tickets on Ebay and Stubhub before too long, but it looks like ticket prices won't be too crazy. Given that it is a day game, any suggestions on seat locations, etc.?? Especially interested on which side to sit so the sun won't be blinding in our eyes during the 2H. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again.

Kansas
Level Contributor
461 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

The Chiefs sideline is the shady sideline. If you are on that side, the right side of the stadium is the most shady. As rain is always a possibility, you might consider a seat in the lower level, a good number of them are covered by the deck of the 2nd level. I don't know the exact row numbers but probably anything Row 25 and higher lower level would be covered. You can call the ticket line and they might be able tell you for sure- and sell you tickets direct.

BTW, Arrowhead was one of the first stadiums of its size that has no broken sightlines- there isn't a bad seat in the house. The bowl arrangement creates almost a speaker effect so come ready for some noise if the game is close.

Have fun at the game.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

I agree with those who recommend a hotel near either the Country Club Plaza or Power & Light district. If you are going to stay over, I imagine you would like to experience Kansas City. You can do that much easier near CCP or P&L. The hotels near the airport are boring and although Zona Rosa is nice enough, it is a suburb like any other suburb and will not give visitors as much of the true Kansas City flavor.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

If you are staying around the Plaza, there are tons of places to eat. Places like Ruth's Chris, McCormick and Schmicks, Houstons, PF Changs, Kona, Grand Street Cafe, JJ's, they are numberous.

If you want to catch a college game Saturday, definitely go to the 810 Zone on the Plaza. It's two floors and over 80 HD TV's.

The fans at Arrowhead may boo you at first when you go to your seats, but they respect fans that travel to support their teams. You shouldn't encounter anything but a few fans playfully giving you a hard time shortly after you sit down.

If you haven't already bought tickets, I'd buy them on the Visitors side of the stadium. This side gets sun and keeps you warm, unlike the Home side. The sun won't be in your face since the upper deck sidelines face north and south. The sun is never in your eyes. I've sat there for years in section 305.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

almost everyone in KC is sold out for weekend of Giants game- it is a race weekend too

Indiana
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

Thanks for the good advice. Luckily, I booked the hotel (Residence Inn at Country Club Plaza) already. I was wary of the visitors side due to heavy sun and possibly in the eyes, but may now consider it. I'm going to wait on tickets as they don't seem to be too expensive and the game is not even sold out yet and I want to make sure that my daughter won't miss any tests! I'd imagine that the Raiders and others are bigger draws (even though the Giants are going to be awesome this year).

Great advice, so thanks everyone. We will wear our blue, but will be relatively quiet for all the right reasons.

19. Re: Help; Chiefs game/airport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City
Recent Conversations