We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

It pains me to write this post, because we found Sayulita to be a LOVELY town in many ways... but we'd read some of the earlier posts about illness with concern and we've just returned from a wedding where an astounding amount of people got sick. I believe there were close to 60 people in this particular group and it seems as though at least three quarters (if not more) fell ill with violent stomach issues. It seemed to hit most people within 2-3 days after their arrival and last for a good 24hours. Everyone arrived on different days, stayed in different locations, ate at different places... the only thing we all had in common was being in Sayulita! I don't know what is happening - if it is indeed infrastructure issues or wastewater treatment issues or what, but we certainly won't come back until things get better.

Which is sad, because the town was fun and the people were helpful and fantastic, food was terrific - we loved it! But we started calling it the Walking Dead vacation because our friends were dropping like flies and we spent our whole trip waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and come down with violent illness! We didn't get as ill as the others, and I have no idea why we were spared - probiotics may have helped. At any rate, I'm a longtime forum member and have traveled to lots of places in the world, but have never seen or heard of something as crazy as this. I really do hope this lovely town is able to figure out their issues.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
421 replies to this topic
Gibsons, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
411. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

I agree! Seven family members on Gringo Hill, suffered varied degrees of illness, from sever to relatively mild and some of us home with coughs and colds too. The noise from the Sayulita festival leading up to 'Sayulita Day' was excessively loud so that it was more than difficult to sleep and was in my opinion inconsiderate and positively rude when it went on into the wee hours of the night. I will never return to the Town of Sayulita though I look forward to seeing other places in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
412. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

sayulita is already getting slammed with sickness reports. noise is another issue. mexicans love celebration and that's not going to stop anytime soon--lol.

i'm a phys ed teacher and i love quiet and have yet to find it in my 30 years in mexico

Edited: 12 March 2018, 17:38
413. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 20:47

1 post
Save Reply
414. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

march 22 2018 sayulita beautiful place to recover from said violet stomach illness. i read your post which could have been written yesterday. 5 of our 5 family members, world travellers all, could have written your article, save for the wedding. but asking around it seems to be very much alive. someone suggested norwalk type symptoms which are difficult to erradicate and could potential live on with a fresh population constantly arriving. what about the ocean water in front of the town, this seems the only common thread in our own story. body surfing etc always a decent gulp of unwanted ocean/stream water

Boulder, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
415. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

We get it. Something is going on. People have gotten very, very sick. I think by now we can all say that this fact has been very well established. However, let me play devil's advocate. Anyone considering a trip down there, it doesn't hurt to put these posts in perspective. In this thread alone there are almost 500 posts going back two years. Keep in mind that there are at least 500 tourist in Sayulita every single day I've been there, and we've been spending the first two weeks of February there for 10 years. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. If you want to go, then go. If you don't, then don't. No one will miss you! NO ONE! Not one single person. Then the rest of us can eat our ceviche, surf those waves and drink big margaritas all by ourselves.

P.S After saying all of that, I would definitely recommend not attending any weddings in Sayulita. Even I wouldn't risk getting that sick.

Edited: 23 March 2018, 05:40
Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
416. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

We returned from Sayulita yesterday after a 10 day vacation. Four out of six of us got sick. We did probiotics and oregano oil for a week before our arrival there. We only had bottled water, no street food, no ice, washed hands a lot. I never entered the ocean and I was out sick for two days. There is no sanitation in the city! Trash all over and none of the restaurant staff seemed to wash hands or deal with bugs and flies. There seems to be a lot of dog poop on the streets too. Certainly can't help with the germ situation. The house we rented had awful plumbing and asked that we didn't flush any toilet paper. This was surprising to us at $700 a night. Maybe we were naive or just too hopeful. We will not be going back. We would rather spend that money and find a clean place in Punta Mita that doesn't serve up NoroVirus.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
417. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

about not putting paper in the toilet---that is not unusual in the bay of bandares area

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
418. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Look at date of OPost.. going on for years..

The more people,on Holiday times the worse it gets.

So sorry for your sickness,. Not Fun.. and be deathly for children, seniors.

Edited: 31 March 2018, 21:01
Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
419. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Unfortunately, we have had the same issue. We rented a beautiful home in January. About day 4 of our trip, 6/7 travelers developed body aches, weakness, diarrhea and vomiting. Symptoms lasted from 2-4 days. I assumed it was a virus and just bad luck.

We had another trip scheduled (planned before our January trip) and just returned home a few days ago. We stayed in a nice hotel on our recent trip. We did not eat any food from street vendors and tried to eat at higher end restaurants. We drank only bottled water. We were all fine until the day we left (4 days into the trip), after which my entire family deveped muscle aches and diarrhea. The course of this illness was much shorter and not as intensive as our illness in January. I suspect both illnesses were / are viral, likely norovirus. This is a virus that is highly contagious and is transmitted via fecal matter (could be from the stream or someone with vomiting / diarrhea illness that preps food, touches work surface etc). I suspect our current symptoms are less severe as we have developed some resistance due to our earlier infection (I am a physician so do have experience in diagnosis).

We love Sayulita and have been going for many years (our first trip ~ 15 years ago), but unfortunately, due to sanitation concerns, we will hold on future trips until these issues are properly addressed.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
San Clemente...
1 post
Save Reply
420. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Just got back from a 4 day stay in Sayulita, I’ll make this very brief, their were 6 people in our group, including two 13 year olds, 4 out of the 6 were sick on day 3, other 2 when we returned home. When I say sick, I mean violently throwing up for a good 6 hours, not feeling 100 percent for about a week later.

We racked our brains to figure it out and the only thing we could all come up with was the ocean.

We came after semana santa, the river of poo that was flowing into the ocean was crazy, we obviously grabbed our stuff and went to Los Muertos beach, learned later on from a local, this beach is just as bad as the main beach.

Sad to say we won’t be going back to Sayulita until they can figure out their sewage problems, we believe to many people, not enough sewage outlets.

On a positive note the people, food, shopping and the town are all amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Reply to: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted