We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disrespect for handicap parking spots

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
245 posts
178 reviews
Disrespect for handicap parking spots

This isn’t a question but an observation of our experience today. Our guest requires a scooter to get around, rather than a wheelchair. 3 of the 4 handicap parking spaces we encountered on our way into the town square were occupied by a delivery truck with blinking lights, a taxi and Jeep. None with the handicap standard placard. I’m was embarrassed that this is the lack of respect that is shown to guests in your town.

I love Sayulita but would be reluctant to bring another person with disabilities for a visit based upon the serious lack of respect.

8 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

This NOTB custom is rarely adhered to NOTB; welcome to México.

¡Diviértanse!

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
245 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

Sorry but Bucerías has much more respect, seriously disappointed in Sayulita. And BTW, I live here.

Toronto
Level Contributor
272 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

Last week when I was there they were actually ticketing the cars and taking off the license plates so at least they are addressing the issue. I know it is an issue everywhere but it does seem worse down here.

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
245 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

Thanks, so glad something being done to address the problem.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

in my experience, most of Mexico has little respect for handicapped parking, or even simple basic parking rules. That said, most Americans and Canadians also show disrespect by driving golf carts drunk, overloaded, or by having a 9 year old drive them. Sorry you had a bad experience, it truly is a challenge for the handicapped wherever they go.

4 posts
6. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

This has very little to do with respect. You are not allowed to park on yellow curbs, the restaurants put their tables out on the roads and take probably 40% of the white curb parking. Sayulita has exploded in popularity and if anyone is disrespecting handicap parking its the visitors that are creating the problem. So to say Bucerias or anywhere else has more respect is not a fair assesment when Bucerias covers 20km of streets and highways and Sayulita downtown is 4 square blocks, where it would seem your complaint is centered. There is room for 6 handicapped cars and probably 50-55 legal non handicap spots. Restaurants take 20ish leaving, employees, business owners and delivery people 35 spots at the most. On a weekend we have between 30-45 buses of people appear here. At the sametime traffic quadruples and "we have no respect for handicapped"? I am handicapped and even see the injustice of the complaint. Tourists create the problem then suggest its someone elses fault ?

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
245 posts
178 reviews
7. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

Dear Canuck C - while I respectfully appreciate your feedback, I do believe you have misinterpreted my point. First, my guest suffers from PLS and has to get around with his scooter. When we came for our visit, the handicap spaces where occupied by taxis, delivery trucks and able bodied people. I’m happy to walk but my guest couldn’t. Second, I did not compare Bucerías to Sayulita, you did. Third, I am not a tourist but live here full time. I have not created any problem but am bringing my $ to Sayulita. Lastly, since you seem to be new to the forums and are a non Mexican resident, perhaps a kinder approach to people would be better. I’m sorry for your disability and hope you are able to find parking easier than we did. Peace out 🙏🏻

Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Disrespect for handicap parking spots

3 of 4 that means you found a space. Big deal.

Reply to: Disrespect for handicap parking spots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted