We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having a hard time!

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Having a hard time!

I am from Oregon and traveling with my 9 Yo daughter. First I planned a trip to loreto Baja but they wouldn’t let the plane land so we got flown back to LA. Wanting to be in the flow I decided very spontaneously to go to PV because that’s where the airline could fly us. We’ve never been here. The first thing that happened was I walked away from an ATM MACHINE in PV and the machine ate my card. I am here in sayulita with no cash, no ATM card and 2 credit cards that I cannot get cash from because I never set up a PIN. My husband western union Me money today and I used the last of my pesos to get a taxi to take me to the OXXO in both sayulita and San Pancho and at both were told that they were out of service or could not give me money only transfer to my card (which I lost)

We walked back to town in the heat, tried to hitchhike but no one would pick up a mom and her daughter

Now we are at Rustica because they take credit cards trying to figure out what to do. I can’t take a taxi to mezcales (a town the OXXO worker said may have the ability to give me cash via western union) because I have no pesos only CC.

My friends friend who owns sayulita sol is out of town, we were hoping she could get me cash and I could PayPal her.

I’m going to try to rent a car tomorrow and get to mezcales and try to pick up the cash. After that I would

Most likely keep driving and end up in PV for the duration of our trip because of the ease of being in a city, even though I had planned to go to San Pancho tomorrow.If there are no cars I have no idea how I will get out of here.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of things I may not be thinking of.

I am going to walk to the bank tomorrow and hope that I can get a cash advance on my CC with my ID

Muchas gracias!

Mentioned in this post
La Rustica Sayulita
La Rustica Sayulita
793 Reviews
Sayulita, Mexico
6 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having a hard time!

And hubby can't set up a pin with your cc company while in the US?

Otherwise, buy a bunch of beer or liquor with your CC and sell it for cash for half price outside of oxxo.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 06:08
Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having a hard time!

LOL! Nope PIN can only be done via mail and it takes 10 days

I’ll ask my daughter if she wants to sling beer outside the OXXO

She’s pretty cool but I have a feeling she is going to say no

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having a hard time!

What about a car service to get you where you need to go? We used Jose Ramon to get from PV to Sayulita. They may to credit cards.

Find a hotel in Sayulita that takes credit and serves food! We stayed at El Puebilto Sayulita. They take credit cards and serve breakfast and lunch.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g44…

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Level Contributor
244 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having a hard time!

This is like a survival challenge.

The first thing I would do is go to OXXO and look for people who speak English.

Explain your situation and offer to pay for their purchase with your CC and they can give you the cash.

You don't need to sell beer for 50%.

It shouldn't take long to get $20 (400 pesos +/-) possibly more.

I'll assume that you found a room for the night with CC.

You can get the pesos for taxi or bus.

If you cannot raise bus cash, about 25 pesos each to Bucerias (?) 42 pesos to PV Walmart,

Budget & National both rent cars in Sayulita.

They are across the street from each other, on the 'back street'

I have rented from Budget in Sayulita and returned car at PV airport.

It's an easy 30 min drive to Bucerias. One road straight from Sayu.

There is a Walmart in Bucerias (and one in PV). OR bus ride.

Your husband can send you money to pick up at Walmart in pesos. Western Union or other options.

You seem to have internet access and should be able to reserve a car online for pickup tomorrow morning.

With your passport and credit card, you have options. You & your daughter are safe in Sayulita.

Your situation could be MUCH worse..

Your 'pretty cool' daughter will never let you forget this and it will make a great story to tell your grandchildren.

I do not think that any bank is going to give you a cash advance with your credit card.

If raising cash at OXXO wont work, it might be easier to do this at Walmart.

I would have no problem doing this, but understand that many people would.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 08:21
Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Level Contributor
244 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having a hard time!

PS: You only need the equivalent of about US$3.00 for both of you to take the bus to Bucerias

OR US $5.00 to get to PV Walmart. Bus stops across the street.

If OXXO suggestion doesn't work for you, ask if your hotel or a merchant to run a charge for 150 pesos and give you 100 pesos cash.

I see that hubby already sent via WU,, getting to walmart isn't difficult if you get some pesos

Edited: 06 August 2018, 08:31
Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having a hard time!

I suppose you contacted the ATM's parent company so they could open the machine and you get your card back?

All ATM's have their machine number and 800 number to report a problem.......

Reply to: Having a hard time!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted