We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

Central Florida...
11 posts
Save Topic
Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

We just got back Monday (3/5/2018) from a week long wedding. Out of 68 people in our party, 50 were sick. Another wedding, also staying at Vila Amour, was also devastated. The doctor was giving IVs to peope all day. The father of the groom was taken by ambulance to PV. The ambuance driver told us there is also a noro outbreak in Puerto Viallata.

In Sayulita the smell of sewage is in the air when the wind is blowing your way. In the morning there is wet sewage on many streets. The filthy 'river' still dumps black water across the beach. This town is beautiful, but even the local are getting sick. STAY AWAY! A boat captain told me the plan they have is to attract MORE tourists so they can get money to build a sweage treatment plant. People are posting lies here saying all is fine.Do your homework. Do you want to be one of the sacrificial tourists? They should ban tourism in Sayulita for a while. And Villa Amour, for the beautiful place that it is, should have warned us about the problem. The doctor told me it goes on all the time.... "but you are only usually sick for a day or two".... only.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
28 replies to this topic
Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
308 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

Hey Flip have a great time - Casa Paloma looks fantastic and is in the best location IMHO. I've stayed at Casa Higuera next door many times.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

Been there 3 times in the last five years, Never got sick once. I even ate the oysters they were selling on the beach! Spent a lot of time in the water boogie boarding. Sorry to hear that it’s getting overrun with tourists, glad we went when we did!

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

Hey Flip

I just had some very close friends down there staying at our house and they just arrived back yesterday after being down there for 10 days. I specifically asked them if anyone in their party had gotten sick as I have been following the threads. The answer was a definite NO, they all had an amazing time. Eating, drinking and swimming the whole time they were there. They can't wait to go back again. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents to say go, have fun but of course always stay conscious of hand washing ect.

Stormsam

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
421 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

Thx Stormsam... We're really looking forward to our trip, and putting all of the negativity behind us.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

We got very sick in San Pancho. We cancelled original flights and went home 5 days early. It was really bad - three of us, otherwise super healthy adults, completely out of commission. It lasted a week after returning home.

Boulder, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

There are several threads about this subject and so I'm copying what I wrote to one of the others.

We return to Sayulita yearly and although we have never gotten hit by the "bug" we have heard of folks who have. That said, the majority of those seem to be wedding groups, which means lots of hugging and kissing and drinking after one another. In our experience, most of us have a bit of an upset stomach around day 3, which is when your body gets used to the new bacteria in the area. The same thing happens to us when we travel to Rome and Japan. If you read through the threads you'll see that some folks swam and some didn't, so that would seem to rule out water born problems. Norvovirus is awful and I would hate for anyone to get it, but it has never been a problem for us or to almost all the other visitors we have met over the years.

Mentioned in this post
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
27. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 06:10

28. Re: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 06:02
Edited: 24 March 2018, 06:02

Reply to: Why Would You Even Consider Going To Sayulita?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted