We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to sayulita

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to sayulita

Looking for a hilly seaside town with the charm of sayulita but without the sickness. Anything like that in the area. I heard Bucerias is sort of flat and unremarkable so I'm not too keen on that.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
20 replies to this topic
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to sayulita

San Pancho / San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
240 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Yelapa is much smaller than Sayulita but hilly. If it's the hills that draw you, check it out.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Thanks. I'm looking for a nice beachfront or hilltop sea view with maybe a private plunge pool. Saw a few in sayulita,but none really fit that in San Pancho unless it was overv$600 a night. It's been probably 10 yrs maybe since I've been to Yelapa but I didn't think they had electricity. I may just stay in the same ol same ol Conchas Chinas area but my husband wants something different. He likes the idea of driving golf carts around.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 22:46
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Totally different but easily doable from Ft Worth is Isla de la Mujeres off the coast of Cancun.

When you said "golf carts" I thought of it since that is how you drive around the whole island.

It has lovely beach, great restaurants for food and no sickness. The only thing it doesn't have is hills.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g15081…

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Isla Mujeres is lovely (I was just there!) but like Sayulita, it gets pretty clogged with tourists in high season these days.

have you looked at Rincon de Guayabitos?

It's just another half hour or so north.

Lovely beach for swimming. The drawback is that it doesn't have the same cool Mexicali surfer/bohemian vibe as Sayulita.

If you can fly into Manzanillo, I'd suggest Barra de Navidad, it's kind of a neat little town too.

Or fly into Huatulco or Puerto Escondid and stay in San Augustinillo.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Oh and your description fits quite a few of the boutique hotels above Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo (airport code ZIH, Ixtapa is next door and more tourists with AIs).

Check these out...I stayed at the first one, Cinco Sentidos, amazing...very romantic there.

hotelcincosentidos.com/Hotel_Cinco_Sentidos/…

http://villacarolina.com.mx/en/home/

http://www.lacasaquecanta.com/en/m_1_Home.php

Sayulita
Level Contributor
800 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to sayulita

If you enjoy Sayulita I wouldn't recommend Rincon de Guayabitos. It's a great town for families with very young children, and retirees. The beach is perfect for the very young and the very old. Barra de Navidad is a very funky town (at least it was when I was there maybe 10 years ago) but the ocean can be very rough. I don't remember the restaurant scene being very good but we really did like it as a cool place to hang out for a few weeks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to sayulita

The restaurants in Barra were surprisingly good! Just not tons of them. And more in neighboring Melaque too.

I kind of agree with the 'very young or retirees'.lol. I didn't love Guayabitos nearly as much as I hoped I would. It's pretty though, and that beach really is one of the best I have seen in Mexico for little kids.

Ft Worth
Level Contributor
301 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to sayulita

Thanks, lots of food for thought here. We've been to Isla Mujeres but it was 10 or so years ago. We tend to like the pacific coast more. I did find a neat place called Bungalows Lydia in North San Pancho. I'm looking into that. No a/c though.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
309 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to sayulita

OMG, Bungalows Lydia! Great place, but San Pancho is not like Sayulita. It has been several years for me, but the best three days of my life were on that sand patio at Lydia's. Crashing waves, secluded beaches on both sides, almost no one around, it can be paradise.

But you must come prepared. It's not just walk down the hill to town in 10 min. and buy what you want or hit the restaurant. I don't drive in Mexico, and Lydia's is a bit far for walking to town often. San Pancho is a great choice, however I would say it is a contrast to Sayulita, not a comparison.

Reply to: Alternative to sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted