We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

Hi everyone,

We were super excited to discover Sayuliya this summer until we read about the "Virus" everyone is discussing here. Unfortunately it was too late to get a refund, so we tried to take as many precautions as we could:

- We started taking probiotics 2 weeks in advance, 1 cap/day ($23/box at Walgreens)

- We started taking Pepto the day before our arrival, 4x2 caps/day ($4.99/box at Walgreens)

- We washed our hands 9-10 times a day and carried soap everywhere with us (real soap, not a hand sanitizer, which doesn't work again the norovirus)

- We never went to the ocean (the water was very dirty anyway, as of last week there's still some waste poured directly into the river/the ocean)

- We ate only at supposedly "safe" restaurants

- We never had any drinks with ice cubes

- We drank only bottled water (they cost only $10 MXN for a large one at Super Mi Tienda and $15 MXN for small ones at restaurants)

- We brought some Immodium and Cipro with us

- etc.

Despite all this, the first of us got violently ill within 16 hours, and the two others within 24hrs.

Symptoms:

- Day 1: Nausea, severe diarrhea, upset stomach

- Day 2: Severe diarrhea, Headaches, Body aches, upset stomach - Took Immodium at this point

- Day 3: Severe diarrhea, Headaches, Body aches, No appetite

- Day 4: Severe headaches, Body aches - Took Cipro at this point

- Day 5-6-7: Headaches

- Day 8: We got a blood and stool test performed which confirmed the virus was gone

We were lucky enough not to get some fever.

We spoke with two different taxi drivers who told us the same thing, which can be easily verified:

- The virus has been around since 2008 but got media attention only since 2012, and became out of control for the past two years

- It goes back and forth depending on the time of the year and amount of people in town but it's always here

- Most people on this forum (villa owners, hotel owners, small business owners), need to keep a constant flow of people coming to the city and will often claim "the virus is gone", "restaurant took measures", etc. - don't listen to them

Anyway, back in NY, we just lost $4,300 and 8 days of vacations, the three of us are really pissed off. If it's not too late, cancel your stay, if it's too late, you'll most likely get sick, good luck. If you have kids CANCEL anyway, I can't imagine how bad they would feel, especially toddlers.

At the very least, be prepared (even more than us) and document yourself.

Check this article (Published 3 days ago): greenecoservices.com/swimming-in-sewage-in-s… "Earlier this year, an outbreak of a virus called norovirus invaded Sayulita, infecting hundereds of locals and tourists every week and it spread quickly! It causes diharrea and vomiting and it spreads by contact, touching a contaminated surface, eating contaminated food, or swimming in contaminated water. It has affected businesses and generated bad reviews for Sayulita [...] a study to understand the black water situation in Sayulita"

Edited: 02 September 2017, 13:49
63 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
1 post
41. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

Got back a couple of weeks ago from my 7th visit to Sayulita. Got sick for the first time. My symptoms were identical to what my little sis experienced in the states about a month ago. She lives in a wealthy suburb of Washington, D.C. Doc told her it was probably Norovirus and it was "going around". Many kids at her son's school were sick. Pretty sure there's no poop in the water where she lives. My husband was with me in Sayulita and did not get sick. He paddled on a SUP to San Pancho every day and pretty much ate the same thing I did. Someone was puking on our plane back to Seattle. That plane probably turned around and headed back to P.V. the next day after a perfunctory cleaning- full of her germs. I just counted myself unlucky this time - I'll go back.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
42. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

We too read the warnings about Sayulita but had decided to spend the last 5 days of our 2 week Mexican vacation there anyway . 3 days into our stay, 4 of our group of 6, have been, or are getting sick. All have diarrhea and nausea and vomiting for 2 of 4 victims . The worst of the illness seems to pass in a day.

We are seasoned travelers to Mexico and have been to many a small town. Sadly, beautiful Sayulita seems to smell worse than any we've travelled to. There are 2-3 flows of sewage going into the ocean and I had the pleasure of crossing a significant stream on the cobblestone street on the west end of town. Disgusting!

Less than 2 hours ago, a companion eating in one of the many tasty eateries, commented that all the passing vehicular traffic was raising so much dust that she felt like she was eating it! It made me think that this was one way people were being infected.

I do think the restaurants are doing their best and Sayulita is a gem. But the pressure of its popularity and visitors numbers is overwhelming the infrastructure. I hope they can sort it out.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
27 reviews
43. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

I’ve been following the discussions about Sayulita for the last year or so, we visited about 10 years ago and had no issues then. Our daughter Is now engaged and wants to have a beach wedding in the Vallarta area, she and Mom are heading to Sayulita at the end of April to scope out possible locations. That being said I’m a little apprehensive about possibly exposing 40 plus people to issues in Sayulita this November. We’ve also considered Villa Amor as another poster had mentioned. Might need to consider a different location, Yelapa perhaps? I’ll see how the wife and daughter fare when they arrive next month for a week.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
44. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

UPDATE! One more sick! This is crazy, we are unpleasantly surprised. I cannot recommend this destination until the situation changes. Very disappointing.

45. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 06:00

Boulder, Colorado
6 posts
46. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

Hi, I feel like I need to chime in again because this subject is on multiple threads. I have no financial interest in Sayulita and to be honest, I'd be thrilled if no one reading doesn't come to Sayulita. Less people on the beach, no crowds on the waves... stay home everyone!!

Here is my earlier posting:

We return to Sayulita yearly and although we have never gotten hit by the "bug" we have heard of folks who have. That said, the majority of those seem to be wedding groups, which means lots of hugging and kissing and drinking after one another. In our experience, most of us have a bit of an upset stomach around day 3, which is when your body gets used to the new bacteria in the area. The same thing happens to us when we travel to Rome and Japan. If you read through the threads you'll see that some folks swam and some didn't, so that would seem to rule out water born problems. Norvovirus is awful and I would hate for anyone to get it, but it has never been a problem for us or to almost all the other visitors we have met over the years

White Salmon...
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
47. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

I know of large groups that got sick. Couples who got sick. and most recently 1 friend who traveled alone and she got it. Very similar symptoms spread out over three differrent years.

You can't deny that there is raw sewage flowing around town and into the ocean. There is a serious sanitation issue. If you deny that you are a fool. We have all seen and experienced it. It can't be denied.

Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
48. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

Any travelers to Nuevo Vallarta and Punta Mita area come down with this viral sickness or is it limited to Sayulita?

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,963 posts
131 reviews
49. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

One word NO.

50. Re: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 14:34

Reply to: Sayulita, never EVER again - Got screwed by the Norovirus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted