We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus question

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Bus question

We are planning to take the bus from Lisbon to Salema (via Lagos) on Fri. June 5th.

Questions:

1. Should we book the tkts before we leave Canada or are we okay to book them in Lisbon at the TI?

2. What are the names of the Bus stations? (which Lisbon station to which Lagos station? Then I think we have to change to a local bus in Lagos, so which Lagos station to Salema? I know there are 2 choices for Salema, we are staying at Pension Mare, which bus do we take?)

3. What is the age for a senior discount?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Salema
Salema
Faro District, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus question

What time are you arriving at Lisbon Airport? We can then be more specific on the options.

I don't recommend booking on-line in case your flight is delayed!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus question

"What is the age for a senior discount?" Usually 65 years old, but discounts on buses are smaller than in trains.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,202 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus question

There are two bus lines operating between Lisbon and Lagos.

RENEX runs from the Oriente bus station. This is the nearest to the airport, but they do not sell tickets on line. Their website www.renex.pt is only in Portuguese.

REDE EXPRESSOS start from the Sete Rios bus station, which is several km from the airport. You can get there by metro (to Jardim Zoológico station, a change of lines is needed), by Aerobus 2 (direct but more expensive and less frequent than the metro) or of course by taxi. Website www.rede-expressos.pt which can be used in English.

If you don't already have tickets, the lines at the ticket office at Sete Rios can sometimes be rather lengthy. A problem for inbound travellers is that tickets bought on line are not refunded or exchanged in the event of the reserved journey being missed.

"Then I think we have to change to a local bus in Lagos, so which Lagos station to Salema?"

This is correct. Those buses leave from the main bus station in Lagos, which is the same place as used by the Rede-Expressos long distance buses from Lisbon. RENEX stop a short distance away.

When you get to Lagos, you buy your ticket to Salema from the ticket office inside the bus station. They cannot be bought on line.

There is only one bus stop in Salema village. Buses here in the Algarve do not have route (line) numbers. The bus you want will be going to Sagres - see www.algarvebus.info/012.htm to check which of the buses detour off the main road to go via Salema village. Winter schedules will still apply when you are there in June.

There are no senior discounts on local buses except for residents. They are pretty inexpensive, Lagos to Salema is €2,65.

You can also travel by train from Lisbon Oriente to Lagos five times a day, but two downsides are that a change of train is needed en route also that the railway station at Lagos is 5 minutes walk from the bus station.

I hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Salema
Salema
Faro District, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus question

Thank you, for the detailed answers to my questions. I appreciate it.

I did find and checked REDO EXPRESSOS and EVA schedules and have a connection that is quite efficient and not too expensive. I didn't know about RENEX so will check to see which station is closest to our hotel and then decide.(HF Fenix Garden, near Metro Marues de Pombal) Do you have an opinion as to which bus station would be best from that hotel? I will just use google translate to figure out the RENEX schedule. I think we'll purchase our tkts when we arrive in Lisbon on June 1st. By June 5th we will have finished 4 busy days in Lisbon and look forward to a quiet time on the beach for a couple of days. I think I managed to figure out how to take the bus from Salema/Lagos/Seville so I think I'm all set for now.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
HF Fenix Garden
HF Fenix Garden
1,797 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Salema
Salema
Faro District, Portugal
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus question

which bus station would be best from that hotel? Sete Rios bus station next to Jardim Zoológico metro station, it's the metro's blue line, 4 stops from Marques. metrolisboa.pt/eng/…

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,202 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus question

I agree - go to Sete Rios and travel down to Lagos with Rede-Expressos.

Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
7. Re: Bus question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2016, 01:45
Get answers to your questions about Salema