We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in/around Gorges du Verdon

London, United...
4 posts
1 day in/around Gorges du Verdon

Hi all,

We are driving around Provence during last 2 weeks of July. We are driving from Monaco to Moutstiers Sainte-Marie and would like to spend the majority of the following day around Gorges du Verdon, before heading west towards Apt.

What is the best plan to maximise our day? From Moustiers, where's best to head early morning? We'd like to do some walking, take some photos and enjoy the area.

Can we walk down into the Gorges easy?

Any recommended stopping points or routes to take?

All ideas appreciated!

David.

2 replies to this topic
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: 1 day in/around Gorges du Verdon

I just spent 3 weeks in Allos. You can really see a great deal from your car. N85/6202 roads. The roads through the mountains have places to stop and rest, take photos or walk around. It is very pretty area with snow still within an easy walk from the road in several places. Beware of the "witching hour" when everything closes in this area. (6:00 or in rare instances 8:00) Our North American credit cards have very limited use in this area and I got caught a couple of times running out of gas on the mountain due to the infrequent stations that are open and will accept cash for fuel.

One night a couple of weeks ago in Allos it got to 3 degrees C and I would not have wanted to be out of gas that night.

Active (National Police) traffic control in the little town of Entraveux(sp?)

There are several areas that I was in that was remote enough to have large and numerous wildlife, large caribou type animals, deer, foxes, (a wolf???) etc on the road. Be careful driving at dusk.

Locals are better natured and more helpful than many in the higher tourist areas.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: 1 day in/around Gorges du Verdon

From Moustiers Saite-Marie take the left side Rive Gauche for excellent views to Balcon de la Mescala (sign posted stopping area). The turn off to the Rive Gauche is one small sign in the road. We came back the same route because we wanted to swim at Lac de Ste Croix which was excellent, warm water. We stopped at the parking on the Moustiers side of the Lac and probably the Gorge side of the bridge has more options for where to put your blanket. On the Moustiers side it was rock and dirt and the other side looked better. Swimming in the Lac was definitely a great stop and there were large handicap size washrooms for changing into your swim suit.

Reply to: 1 day in/around Gorges du Verdon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moustiers Sainte-Marie