We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

I was planning a trip to france, Paris & Nice, travelling from Paris to Nice by train. But I have seen a lovely place to stay in Moustiers Sainte-Marie, so would like to add this into our trip before Nice. But how do I get there by train?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

I think the closest train station would be at Manosque, but that is 50 km away with minimal (maybe no) public transport links.

I have visited this region and it is indeed very beautiful. However, I think you need a car to Moustiers-Ste-Marie and the Grand Canyon du Verdon.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
2. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

Maybe the place where you want to stay would have some ideas about how you could get there w/o a car. Moustiers is a beautiful village; have fun!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,875 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

I drove there as a stop on the way between Nice and Avignon. This whole area (Gorges du Verdon) is a national park so it can only be visited by a car realistically.

If you won't be having a car, don't be too disappointed about not visiting Moustiers-Sainte-Marie. It's a very beautiful village but you will also be able to find other villages similar that might be more convenient.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

Thank you all for your advice, as suspected, I will look into car hire or leave this for another trip. I'm assuming we'll be best to have a car once we arrive in nice anyway(??).

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

Thank you all for your advice, as suspected, I will look into car hire or leave this for another trip. I'm assuming we'll be best to have a car once we arrive in nice anyway(??).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,227 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

A car would be nothing but a nuisance in the town of Nice, but very useful for exploring areas inland.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
7. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

You can do a day trip by mini van to the Gorges du Verdon/Moustiers area from Nice. For example Nizza Travel are one of the tour companies who organise this ( around 140 euro for a full day ) . This may be a better option for sightseeing than trying to drive and admire the stupendous views at the same time.

As to a car around Nice I would tend to agree with Nick - parking especially is a nightmare anywhere along the Cote d'Azur where car numbers triple in the summer.

Ed

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

My husband and did the Nice to Moustiers St. Marie drive, but booked a night at Bastides de Moustiers (http://www.bastide-moustiers.com/?lang=en). If your trip allows, I highly recommend you do the same, and have the most fabulous dinner of your lives! You can tour their garden and see the vegetables being picked that will be on your plate later in the evening. Or lie in a hammock on their beautiful grounds. The rooms are absolutely lovely; each one different and welcoming. I guarantee, you will remember if forever. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,386 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

copygirl....this post is over 2 years old.

If the Original Poster did visit the area....they did so years ago.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
84 reviews
10. Re: Moustiers Sainte-Marie - what is the closest train station?

I too will never forget the restaurant at the Bastide de Moustiers, where we waited an entire hour between courses for a not-special dinner. That was not the usually pleasant leisurely pace!

Get answers to your questions about Moustiers Sainte-Marie