We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

London, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

Hi,

I am considering doing a seminar in Cape Girardeau. Thing is, I'm coming all the way from the UK, and obviously would prefer if it was an interesting/beautiful place to visit. Have been to the States a few times, to NYC, New England and California.

Opinions or great places to visit/eat in Cape Girardeau appreciated. However, the info on Wikipedia and the Tourism website hasn't filled me with optimism.

Thank you,

Bel

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

Cape Girardeau is a very nice town of maybe 50,000. Around Missouri, we just call it "Cape." I'm curious, though, how did you select it? St. Louis is only 100 mile away.

For the most part, it's a college town, home to Southeast Missouri State University. This college attracts many students from the St. Louis area. The campus is actually very nice - hllly, with 100+ year old buildings and huge trees. In the fall, it rivals abut any campus in America for its beautiful setting. Other than that, not much beauty, although the old main street is somewhat quaint. To find out more about Cape Girardeau, you might want to visit the university website: www.semo.edu You can also look at the town's website: www.cityofcapegirardeau.org

I went to college there and return a couple of times a year to visit friends. If you go, you will find it a friendly town, with a few *okay* restaurants. There is still not a real "upscale" restaurant that I'm aware of and some of the chain restaurants might be the best in town. Some decent local establishments are N'Olreans, Dexter Barbeque and Port Cape.

Nice places to visit would be within an hour or so - Burfordsville covered bridge and Ste. Genevieve (oldest European settlement west of the Mississippi). The rolling hills to the west and north are quite lovely. Visit Cape Rock, then venture north to see some nice countryside.

You will probably get more feedback on Cape if you post in the St. Louis forum.

London, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

Dear TTTStLou,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, that's very helpful.

I'm not holding a seminar, it's just that this is where the seminar I'm thinking of attending is being held. Long way to come from the UK. Probably wouldn't have time for much sightseeing, maybe at the end.

Looking at the websites you suggest and will try posting my query on the St. Louis forum, as you suggest.

Thanks again for your trouble.

Bel

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

If you do come to visit, you'll no doubt be flying in and out of St. Louis, which has lots of wonderful attractions, the foremost being the Gateway Arch. Our zoo is one of the best in the country, as is our botanical garden. Cape Girardeau is about 100 miles south.

As for Cape, I expect you'll be pleased with a visit there. It's the kind of place where there is no "bad part of town" and it will give you a chance to see the midwestern U.S. If you do decide to come, contact the Chamber of Commerce for dining and sightseeing tips. I expect they'll go all out to make your stay memorable.

Let me know if you have any other questions after doing your research.

London, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

Many thanks for this - that's a good tip about Chamber of Commerce etc.

Really appreciate the help and info.

Bel

Sacramento
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

Personally I think a trip to Cape Girardeau would be a let down. Certainly a cultural education on the midwest, but nothing much to do unless the University choir or symphony is performing. If anyone is considering traveling from St. Louis to Cape Girardeau, I recommend traveling on the new Cape Air flight service. It was a pleasant and short trip. I enjoyed being able to see out the front of the cockpit when we came in for a landing. Adds a bit of excitement to the flight.

6. Re: Cape Girardeau - is it worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Cape Girardeau
Recent Conversations