We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night to Stay - Downtown Oxford Inn?

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
284 reviews
One Night to Stay - Downtown Oxford Inn?

We are traveling by motorcycle and want to spend a night in Oxford. We do like to walk to bars/restaurants once we arrive. I've seen mixed reviews about the Downtown Oxford Inn. It seems to be a great location but what about the place? I am not so picky that it has to be 4 star, but I don't want to feel like I can't sleep fast enough so I can check out.

Any advice is welcomed. I have a reservation at the Hampton Inn but it seems out of town by what I can see.

Also, any recommendations on bars or restaurants to visit would be great. We love blues music and dive bars so keep that in mind. :) Thanks very much!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: One Night to Stay - Downtown Oxford Inn?

The Downtown Inn is fine if you get one of the newer rooms on the back side of the hotel. It's about 40 years old but there's a new addition on the SE side of the hotel. You can walk to the Square in 5 minutes. City Grocery is the best place in town for fine dining. John Currence is the chef. He own's the Snack Bar and Big Bad Breakfast just N of the Square on the left in the shopping center. Go to Handy Andy across the street for good breakfast, burgers and BBQ. Ajax is good country food. Proud Larry's, Rib Cage, Rooster's and The Library are the good local bars. There's a nice bar upstairs at City Grocery also. Go to Taylor Grocery for good steaks and catfish. It's a short drive from town. Good luck.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: One Night to Stay - Downtown Oxford Inn?

The 512 is a nice B&B about 2 blocks from The Square. I think you would really like it better than the Downtown Inn. You will pass the Library on your left when you walk to the Square. There's a new place on the right called McEwen's I think. Be sure and visit Square Books on the corner just E of City Grocery. G S on Lamar about 5/6 blocks to Old Taylor and take a right. William Faulkner's home is straight ahead on the right. You can follow Old Taylor around to the W to the Ole Miss campus. It's a beautiful place. You can take a right on University when you leave the Square going S on Lamar and drive to the campus. You will see the Grove first. Good luck.

http://the512oxford.com/

Edited: 17 September 2011, 19:48
3. Re: One Night to Stay - Downtown Oxford Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2018, 06:48
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations