We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Dining Experience

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Great Dining Experience

My wife and I came to Jackson last weekend to visit our son & his family after their recent relocation there. I had only been overnight once in about the last 18 to 20 years, so I couldn't help making a mental comparison to the past and to other cities. It definitely can't be compared to Memphis as I saw one guy try to do, given the much smaller feel and near abandoned weekend streets, but it seemed clean, attractive, and comfortably uncrowded. When we asked the front desk at our Downtown hotel if there was a walkable local favored breakfast restaurant the reply was "no", so we ordered the $18 a head room service breakfast and it was fine. After a visit to their new abode we took everyone to dinner at Olga's Russian Steak House on the I-55 service road and there our dining dissapointment ended. Olga met us all individually, laughed with us and made us all feel welcome. The place had good ambience, with Euro-Russian murals on the walls and smiling employees. My wife and I ordered salads and steaks billed as Russian Filets which were served with properly displayed shrimp arrayed on the plates, and were quite happy with the service and the well prepared entrees. The unexpected treat, however was the singer / guitarist, Larry Brewer, whose one man routine included wonderful picking, strumming and singing. He sang songs which were heartfelt, well performed, but not intrusive to the dinner conversations. He did James Taylor, Steven Stills, B.B. King, etc. with his electric faux acoustic guitar, then got ready for set number two with accompaniment by another piece for more upbeat numbers, which we didn't get to hear because it was time to leave, but I would return at the next opportunity to Olga's, and I recommend it to you the next time you're in Jackson.

$$$/cocktails/Great Chef

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Dining Experience

Great TR. I have heard of Olga's but I have not been there. Sounds great. Go to Walker's Drive Inn next time you get a chance. Good luck.

Walker's Drive In @ 3016 North State St., Jackson, MS. 601 - 982 - 2633.

http://www.walkersdrivein.com/

2. Re: Great Dining Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 06:48
Get answers to your questions about Jackson