We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
346 posts
45 reviews
Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

How is this highway. Is this an easier drive to Mobile, rather then going down 49and across??

10 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
1,800 reviews
1. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Though it has been some years since I drove 98 down to Mobile, it was a lovely drive through pine forests. The surface was good, as was the alignment. While it will not allow speeds that one would get to on I-10 (once down to the Gulf Coast), the distance is shorter, and I feel that it would be quicker, even with the lower speed limits.

I would start with a full tank of gasoline, as there is not much along the highway, with the exception of Lucedale, which is not actually ON Hwy 98.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Leakesville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

98 would be your best way to travel. I travel it all the time. Great road., most little towns are off the hwy but several places to stop for gas Enjoy your travel

Wiggins, Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to the Alabama state line is a 4 lane highway, similar to interstate highways, except the speed limit is 65. Once you get to the state line, it switches to 2 lane and the speed drops to 55 - dropping to 45 and even 35 in some areas.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
1,800 reviews
4. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Bobby,

Thanks for that update. Sounds like it has been widened, since the last time that we drove Hwy 98.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Saint Louis...
3 posts
5. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Would it be better to detour at Lucedale to I-10 to avoid heavy traffic entering Mobile by 98?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,984 posts
508 reviews
6. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

I would. Especially during rush hour.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
181 reviews
7. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

I take 98 often....easy drive.

Saint Louis...
3 posts
8. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

Thanks everyone!

I truly appreciate the suggestions.

1 post
9. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

There is 11 miles of two-Lane road. Between the Alabama line and Seemes. The rest of the way between Hattiesburg and Mobile is 4- Laned

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
939 posts
163 reviews
10. Re: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL

I've driven the entire length of 98 from south of Hattiesburg to Port St Joe in Florida. If your final destination is Mobile then yes ... 98 would be fine. Although if you have to navigate through Mobile on 98 to find the interstate and continue on then it a different deal. The divided highway from Hattiesburg to the Alabama state line is great and you can run 70 non stop ... there is very little traffic. Although once your into Alabama it becomes start and stop. Semmes is less than halfway to Mobile from the state line. The drive through Mobile on 98 is slow. The App we used on iPhone to navigate from 98 to I-10 to cross Mobile Bay has an error that will mess you up!!! We have taken the route after we learned the correct path and discovered that unless you want to drive through downtown Mobile starting and stopping a lot .... it's just not worth the effort. On our return trip from Florida we got on I-10 and rolled through Mobile until highway 49 in Mississippi and it was a breeze.

Reply to: Hwy 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hattiesburg