We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
1 review
Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

My fiancee and I are planning on staying in Biloxi for our honeymoon this May. The only thing that worries me is that I've heard from some people that the water at Biloxi beaches is murky, almost muddy looking and that we would be better off staying in Pensacola. Only thing is, we're on a strict budget and Biloxi is more in our price range. I don't expect crystal clear waters like they have in the Bahamas, but I'm just wondering if some of these descriptions are exagerated. Thanks for any info!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
94 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

My brother lives about a mile from the water. We go to Biloxi often to visit. My experience has always been nasty water. With that being said, they have revamped the "beach experience" by adding water activites such as jet skis and those large three wheelers made for the water. Biloxi is surrounded by barrier islands. This prevents any real type of movement of the water. It is more like a lake. The water itself is murky. There is no blue green color to it. When you step into it, it feels like mud. On the upside, you could always take the ferry out to Ship Island. This is much more like a beach experience. The water is pretty clear (not really blue green, but clear enough) And you will see a lot of marine life.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

I completely disagree that it feels like mud - that is simply stated... WRONG! Mud requires dirt. The tidal floor bottom at Biloxi is most assuredly sand. I do agree with the assessment re the barrier islands. There is very little wave action, so if you're looking for surf, I would suggest a change of plans. Otherwise, I believe you will enjoy your honeymoon with fun in the sun.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

I have heard that if you go even as far East as Orange Beach, AL or Gulf Shores, AL the water is nicer and the beaches more like those in Florida. Have you checked prices there?

Jackson,MS
Level Contributor
885 posts
1 review
4. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

Again, the beach....the sand....is every bit as nice as Alabama and Fla. beaches....nice and wide. The water is a green/brown ocean water. It is fine to wade in and to ride the beach toys, etc. The last time we waded, I didn't feel the mud.....sorry.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
94 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

Go and see for yourself. I would LOVE to see your thoughts upon your return!

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

The water is much better over on the Alabama coast than it is in Mississippi.

1 post
7. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

No, I had high hopes it would be. Dead fish all along the water line and trash everywhere:(

Jackson,MS
Level Contributor
885 posts
1 review
8. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

The Biloxi/Gulfport public works departments (or whatever they call it) work very hard to keep the beaches clean of trash or whatever. I have personallly witnessed this over and over the several times a year that we go down to Biloxi/Gulfport . I don't know where you experienced the beaches down there, Lsisk; but I have never witnessed nor experienced just garbage and dead sea life left on the beaches there.

Biloxi, Mississippi
Destination Expert
for Biloxi
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

I have a condo on the beach in Biloxi. I can tell you that several times each week, in the early morning, a truck with some kind of sifter type attachment combs the beaches picking up anything on the beach that isn't sand (cigarette butts, paper wrappers etc). The beautiful soft sand is kept manicured and combed. This is done from May 1 until around Oct. The water itself is clean, however it is very shallow and it is not the blue green of the caribbean. It's perfect for children because of the shallowness and lack of wave action. Great for adults for using the waverunners, aqua cycles, jet skis, parasails etc. which are available for rent in several places along the beach, as well as very comfortable large beach chairs with thick cushions and umbrellas. Of course the pools are there for your swimming pleasure. Let us know your thoughts when you return. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Is the water at Biloxi beach clean?

The sand is clean. The water is clean but NOT clear. It is very shallow. Those are facts. However, one can have a good time there.

Get answers to your questions about Biloxi