We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing with my daughter...

St.Louis Misssouri
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
fishing with my daughter...

I'm staying on Birch Lake 7/16 for a week and understand it's not much of a fishing lake.

Does anyone have any suggestions within a 20-30 mile radius that i could put my daughter onto some fish?

Thanks for any suggestions!

BMM

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
119 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: fishing with my daughter...

Are you looking for shore sites or will you have a boat? If it's the Birch Lake near the village of Elk Rapids then you have easy access to Grand Traverse Bay which is very popular for fishing. I'm not familiar with smaller fishing lakes up that way (Birch Lake is 30 min north of TC), but around Traverse City my son tells me Cedar Hedge Lake (SW of town) and Spider Lake (SE of town) are both good, as is the upper stretches of the Boardman River (a Blue Ribbon trout stream south of town). You should be able to get good suggestions from any local bait shop, too.

If you're interested, the Jordan River National Fish Hatchery is less than 40 miles from Birch Lake & is a fun place for kids & adults. There's trails & picnic areas and millions of trout (no fishing, though!).

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/jordanriver/

A couple miles further north on US-31 (from the hatchery) is Deadmans Hill Rd, turn left & go to the end where there's a short trail to the top of the hill with stunning views of the river valley and a plaque explaining the history. Try not to be there at sunset because it faces west. We've visited both places countless times with kids of all ages, well worth the (beautiful) drive.

St.Louis Misssouri
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: fishing with my daughter...

Hi - thanks for the response and suggestions BoHo- not much on fishing in the Traverse Forum??

I'm looking for both shore and lake suggestions ideally. I am going to rent a boat on either Torch or Elk if you have suggestions for them it'd be appreciated. Would love to catch and grill for the quintessential experience!

Any shore fishing suggestions you have would also be helpful...

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: fishing with my daughter...

michigan.gov/dnr/…00.html

I know how to fish like I know how to fly a jet plane but just the same, this link may help with ideas. Michigan (and nationally) has a good number of fishing links (as i am sure you know) to check out for more info. Cant help at all from experience but let me know if ya want some of the best links. Not that anybody cant google but some have a little more time than others. :-)

4. Re: fishing with my daughter...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City
Recent Conversations