We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Bay or East Bay?

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
West Bay or East Bay?

I'm looking to book a trip to Traverse City for mine and my husband's first anniversary. I was looking into Holiday Inn West Bay Beach, but before I book it, I was hoping to get some opinions of locals or people have visited the area. This will be both of our first time there. Where is the best area to stay - by the West Bay or the East Bay? It seems like there are more hotels on East Bay, but West Bay looked more like a downtown area. Any help is appreciated! :)

Indiana
Level Contributor
433 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

Town is closest to west bay is that's what you'd like to be near. That said, east bay is fine too, you'll just spend a little more time in the car.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
994 reviews
2. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

6 in one and half dozen the other as far as East Bay and West Bay. We stayed at that Holiday Inn in November and it was in the need of modernization in my opinion

US
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

West Bay. For a while, it seemed that all of our summer vacations there saw East Bay beaches being closed due to high bacteria levels. But, I have no idea if that was really rare and just bad luck or not.

That HI is in a great spot. So much to walk to. I'd pick it in a heartbeat.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

@NeednSun - I don't mind walking, so the least amount of time in the car, the better :)

Are there any other hotels in the area that you'd recommend? I'd prefer to stay somewhere with beach access.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

thanks bch!

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
320 reviews
6. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

There are more and more affordable beach resorts (Sugar Beach, Pointes North and more) on the east bay along with a nice state campground. There is also a rental spot so you can kayak, wind surf, boat etc. alurnd the east bay. I love the sunrises on the east bay too. West bay tends to be busier with larger boats and sail boats. The beach near downtown is across from the west bay.

7. Re: West Bay or East Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City
Recent Conversations