We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

My wife and I are traveling the 19-22 and looking to enjoy the beach. Is Traverse City the best for that around Michigan? Also is there a good amount of restaurants and things to do in the area?

Let me know and thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

What is your route for the three days.

There are many nicer beaches than Traverse City as it is located on a bay.

You must experience a beach on a Great lake.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

I'd have to agree that Traverse City is not the nicest beach, but the city does have a good amount of restaurants.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,468 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

Definitely not the nicest beach. I like St Joe and Warren Dunes.

Southeast, Michigan
Level Contributor
511 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

You could stay there, as there are an abundance of hotels, restaurants, vineyards to explore and decent beaches on the bay. The main difference on open water on Lake Michigan is water as far as you can see and big waves. It’s a lot prettier in open water. A day trip through Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and a Beach stop in Empire, Frankfort, Manistee or Ludington would show you the difference. If you want to see the ocean, you probably don’t head to Tampa Bay. Same idea on our freshwater seas.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
142 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

It depends where you'll be.

Traverse City is the best of the beach tows for restaurants, breweries, and vineyards in my opinion.

There are also great Lake Michigan beaches at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and up the western coast of the Leelanau Peninsula (so 3 days in Traverse City is a great way to experience Northern Michigan).

If you're specifically focused on the beach, any town along the Lake Michigan shoreline, from Charlevoix (or even Mackinaw City) all the way down to New Buffalo near the Indiana border will have great beaches.

So the primary issue is where you're coming from before the beach and going to after the beach.

If you're driving from Missouri, you can shorten your drive time to enjoy the beach by stopping somewhere far south of Traverse City.

if you're flying to Michigan it'll depend on your airport.

The trip to Traverse City to see Sleeping Bear Dunes is well worth it, in my opinion. But maybe look at Frankfort, Leland, Empire, Glen Arbor, Northport so you're closer to Lake Michigan beaches?

US
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

When we got to Traverse City, we don't go to the beach there. We hit the beaches over at Sleeping Bear National Seashore. But, we greatly enjoy TC and the surrounding towns for shopping, eating and activities.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach

There are great beaches all the way from the Indiana border up to Mackinaw city. As mentioned Traverse city is on grand Traverse bay, while the TC beaches are fine there are others that you may like better.

You can look at www.Beachtowns.org or you can also do a Google search on all of the towns you see on the coast of Michigan ...

As in Saint Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck, Grand haven, Muskegon, pentwater, Ludington, Manistee, Frankfort, empire, Glen arbor, Leland, Northport, elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and of course wilderness State Park which is west of Mackinaw city

Edited: 11 July 2018, 04:22
Reply to: Is this the best city to enjoy the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City
Recent Conversations