We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Level Contributor
22 posts
142 reviews
Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

We are planning a trip to MI. Myself and 3 children are going. We are driving. Planning on spending 4 days. We are very interested in torch lake. What is the distance from traverse city to torch lake? Is torch lake 1 beach or spread out over multiple? What would be the best family beach to go to? We want bright blue water for sure.

We are looking at staying at the wolf lodge.

Any advice on other things to do or great places to eat? Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
22 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

I was looking at other towns as well that we may stay in that are right on torch lake if any advice? I see there is many public beaches on torch lake. We are driving from ND so the less driving we have to do once we get to MI the better

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Actually, I’m not so sure that there are any/many good beaches on Torch ...

I’m sure there aren’t any campgrounds/ state parks on the lake either.

There is Barnes park near Eastport, but it is on Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay.

Below are a couple of links ...

and until others chime in, I would suggest you do some Googling & look on Google Maps (you do know that you can zoom into an area on Google Maps, and the search for anything in the maps search bar (Generic: “beaches”, “public beach” “restaurants” or Specific: “Bob’s Big Boy” , “Holiday Inn”)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28943…

www.antrimcounty.org/park.asp?ait=av&aid=310

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Torch Lake is huge.

The southern end is probably 20 or so miles from the northern city limit of Traverse City.

There is a public beach on the south end of the town of Alden which is probably 25 miles or so from Traverse City.

There are nice beaches on Grand Traverse Bay as well and the water is blue.

The area is a foodie delight. Not sure what sorts of food you are looking for but we enjoy such places as the Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission Point. Boone,s Long Lake is also good as is the Apache Trout Grill. In Elk Rapids our favorite is Pearls. It is southern style (read New Orleans) type food.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Ugh ... the TA app crashes again !! Sorry for the double post, but it won’t let me edit.

Google Maps can give you driving directions and est. travel times between any two places (and walking, biking, public transportation directions too).

Actually, I’m not so sure that there are any/many good beaches on Torch ...

I’m sure there aren’t any campgrounds/ state parks on the lake either.

There is Barnes park near Eastport, but it is on Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay.

Below are a couple of links ...

and until others chime in, I would suggest you do some Googling & look on Google Maps (you do know that you can zoom into an area on Google Maps, and the search for anything in the maps search bar (Generic: “beaches”, “public beach” “restaurants” or Specific: “Bob’s Big Boy” , “Holiday Inn”)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28943…

www.antrimcounty.org/park.asp?ait=av&aid=310

Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
5. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Hi there, we would recommend checking out our website for more information about Traverse City, places to eat, and beaches: www.traversecity.com

Also, you can check out these two blog posts:

Quick Bites in TC: https:/…

Beaches: https:/…

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
136 posts
169 reviews
6. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

Good news for you: Nearly all the beaches in that part of Michigan are going to have stellar blue waters that you've seen pictures of. Torch Lake is gorgeous but if that doesn't work out for you, Traverse City, Glen Arbor, Empire, Leland, Northport, Suttons Bay are all waterfront towns with beaches and Carribean-esque blue waters.

You cannot go wrong, so don't sweat it too much. Find a place that looks nice, book a room and come explore.

Kalamazoo
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!

I would stay at Lakeshore Resort on the East Bay in Traverse City. Our family has been going there for 7 years. Sandy and Dave the owners are amazing! We go with our 4 kids and spouses and 12 grandkids. They love kids!

Reply to: Family trip to Traverse City. Need help!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City
Recent Conversations