We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifting to village schools along the AC

Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Gifting to village schools along the AC

I am planning to trek the AC in Nov and wondering if it's a good or worthwhile idea giving village schools, on the way, a small pack of say exercise books and pencils. It would be a way of giving back something to the local community, so any views if this is a good idea or what would be a good idea?

3 replies to this topic
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Gifting to village schools along the AC

This is something that I have done many times over the years and although schools on AC will still see many trekkers, I still think that this is an excellent idea.

When you go to the school, ask to see the head teacher and give him the supplies and he will ensure that they are distributed amongst the poorest children.

Try to pick the most remote school possible as these will see the least trekkers.

I usually get invited inside to watch a lesson for a while

It’s a great thing to do and will leave you with some fond memories.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https:/…

Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Gifting to village schools along the AC

Great response :-) , may I ask, would you recommend getting supplies in the UK or picking them up in Kathmandu, also what would say is a reasonable number of books per school? Cheers Rob

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Gifting to village schools along the AC

I am often given a lot of school supplies as people in my area know that I am a regular visitor to Nepal and they like to support what I am doing – If you put the word around then I am sure that people would do the same for you – But anything else you need, I would by locally in Nepal as it could well be cheaper there + By buying it in Nepal, you are also supporting the family of the shopkeeper in one of the poorest countries in the world :-)

With how many – I would take as many as you (Or your porter) can comfortably carry – But for an idea, 20 pens, 20 pencils, 20 exercise books and 20 erasers – More if you can manage it :-)

Good Luck

Rob

PS – Please pop up a post and let us all know how you got on :-)

Reply to: Gifting to village schools along the AC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted