We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

kolkata
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

hi. i'm planning to go to Pokhara form Birgunj. it would be very helpful if i could get details of how to get to Birgunj from Raxaul. when could i get buses from Birgunj to Pokhara, the timings and the fares?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

Hi there,

I am not sure but as normal I am planning to give you some information that could help to plan your trip.

I think you can get Birgunj by Rikshaw [3 Wheel Cycle] from Raxul and the get a bus to Pokhara from Birgunj. Or even some taxies or local buses might be available. Normally, the buses are mostly available in the morning but as Birgunj is one of the big cities of Nepal, you may get buses until 1/2 o'clock. I do not have detail information regarding this cause I haven't been to there many times and I also never travel to Pokhara from there. But for Kathmandu many buses are available on day and night shift.

Regards,

Upendra

Trek Guide and Travel Consultant

kolkata
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

thanks for ur response Upendra. could u tell me the condition of the buses and how long does it take to Pokhara from Birgunj? actually i'm planning on a trek to Annapurna Base Camp, so could u provide me with details like..

i) where to get good porters who know the route well and are well aware of the conditions of the route?

ii) what are the charges of a porter to ABC per day?

iii) what are the accommodation charges along the route?

iv) what would be the food expenses along the route as we go up?

these information would really help us make our budget. we are planning our trip in the third week of October. will the weather conditions be good? waiting for ur reply.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

You are welcome!

Normally, the buses are not so good as you might expect. Only Nepalese local buses are available and seats are not so comfortable and clean. The journey will take around 6/7 hours but also depends on the traffic conditions. Here are the answers:

01, Normally, you can find porters easily in Pokhara if you contact your hotel where you stay. Or, even you can contact me private if you need help on this matter.

02, The charges per day for porters is around US$ 12 per day. This price includes your porter's accommodation and food.

03, Normally, if you are single then the accommodation charge is around 200 Nepalese rupee. On the lower parts you may get in 100 Nepalese rupee too. It also depends on the hotels.

04, When you go up, the charges for food and accommodation and drinks also goes up. Normally, per day 1800 Nepalese rupee should be enough for your trek in average.

Regards,

Upendra

kolkata
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

thanks again Upendra!

we were looking at porter charges for around Rs.400 IC per day. do u think u could help us on this?

the food's really expensive.

what about the weather in October around the third week?

Tapai hamilai help garna sakchau? Pokhra ma tapai ko contacts cha? hamilai tha cha yo trip costly huncha. foreigners to hami haina. eti costly ma problem cha...

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

It's ok. I like helping people about their travel plan in Nepal.

I think the as per the forum rules I am not allowed to give personal information and my contacts. Please kindly see the message I have sent you in the forum.

We can talk there regarding the price and other things. I do not want to violate the forum rules so that I can give any personal information here. Yeah, I can help you personally for your travel plan in Nepal.

The weather should be very good in October because that's the main season for travelling Nepal. I am sure that you will get good weather. I have contact's in Phokhara so that you don't need to worry about this.

Please look at the message I have sent you.

Regards,

Upendra

kolkata
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

Got ur message Upendra, thanks. Sorry couldn't contact u due to work pressure. Good to know about ur friend. But I have some more queries.. hope u don't mind..

i) Do we require permits for this route?

ii) Will ur friend arrange our permits for us?

iii) What are the charges for permit?

iv) Are there any camera(still and video) charges?

v) We may reach there the day after Dusshera(18.10.10). Will offices be open at that time?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

Hi again,

It's good to know that you have received my message. It's ok even if you couldn't contact me. It's my pleasure to help someone who is coming to Nepal. I never mind to answer your any questions.

Please see the following information:

01: Yeah, you need permit to do Annapurna Base Camp Trek. There are 2 kind of permits. One is ACAP permit which cost you 2,000 NRS. Another is TIMS card, which costs you US$ 20 dollars or equal Nepalese rupee.

02, Yeah, my friend will arrange permits for you. Or, I may be able to go with you if I am free. I also can go on the trek with you. Don't worry about it. I will make sure of everything.

03, I already told you regarding the charges of permits. You need 1 national park permit and 1 tims card in all routes.

04, No, for normall cameras you don't pay any charges. But, if you come specially for making documentries then you may need to pay fixed charges to the government. I believe that you are talking about the normal cameras.

05, Yeah, the offices are open from 9 AM to 5 PM. I think theat they open all days including saturday but I am not sure of this.

Regards,

Upendra Duwadi

kolkata
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

Thanks again for the invaluable information. It will be really good if u could go with us. We'll just shape our budget according to the information that u have given us. I'll contact u again. But one very important question....

Are the permit charges per person or per group?

I have lots of friends in Nepal especially in Kathmandu. Let's be friends and keep the guide and client relationship for later. Is that OK with u?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

You are welcome!

I will try to go with you but it depends so that I won't promise right now. My friend is more better than me. So, you don't need to worry about anything right now, until I am here.

The permit is charged per person and this is valid until you exit. That means you can use the permit as much as you want until you make an exit in the check post.

Why it won't be good for me if you want to be friend with me. That's great idea and I like to make friends all over. Thank you for your purpose and I happily accept your purpose.

We are friends now!

Cheers!!

Regards,

Upendra

10. Re: from Raxaul to Birgunj and then to Pokhara.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Janakpur
Recent Conversations