We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

My wife and I will be landing in Windhoek on Thursday and just read the disturbing news that Namibia current drought is so severe, that wild animals in 4 of the nationals parks are targeted as a plan to feed some of the namibians most harshly affected. Is anyone on the ground and can you report what affects this is having on Etosha? I start my visit in Dolomite on Friday and this has concerned me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,493 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

Hi,

Sorry to hear this. Where did you read it? Seems short-sighted to me on several counts, but that hasn't stopped governments doing daft things in the past.

If the drought is that severe, the animals in Etosha will not be worth feeding to anyone. I'd like to know more.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

The Namibian Sun has the article: namibiansun.com/government/drought-govt-slau…

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

We are talking about 100 springbok in the Kunene region and 250 in the Karas and Hardap. 10 buffalo in Mangetti and 10 buffalo in Susuwe.

The meat will be canned and distributed to the needy.

Also an 'unspecified number of Springbok' from aroubd the Etosha area.

This was in the paper.

People are currently in dire straits...who knows how true all of it is, but frankly I an quite appalled that the first response is how the game viewing will be affected, rather than the situation of the people!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

I am curious. Did you read the part of that article about the 400,000 starving Namibians??

Edited: 13 August 2013, 02:55
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,493 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

Gemma,

If you are referring to my response, I was not concerned about game viewing, but that any animals in Etosha would be skin and bone after a severe drought, and therefore not have any meat on them for feeding.

But, as in the past, I have been known to be wrong. Your recent posts on this have given us a welcome local insight. Sorry to hear so many are suffering. Thanks for the update.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

I wasn't referring to you MrScot!

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

Gemma--what food goods that travel well would be appreciated? And are there food distribution centers accepting donations of food or money? Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
8. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

So we are talking about less than 0.1% of the animals in question. If the drought is that severe, then the animal population will actually be healthier because of this. If the people are starving, then poaching will be rampant. If the people are starving, then the animals need to be harvested.

I apologize, but I don't see the problem with responsible control of the wildlife population or using the wildlife to feed local Namibians in a responsible way.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

We had a fabulous trip and will come back to Namibia. No sign of a drought (other than the abudance of animal life at the waterholes) and speaking to several namibians, none even knew about it. UNICEF indicated the drought is affecting about half a million people, but these people are located in a very infrequently traveled part of the country, north and west of Etosha. Etosha is a great self-drive park, through we did enjoy Kruger equally, if just for spotting so many carnivores!

10. Re: Drought- Government to Kill animals in Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park