We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1890's travel to Manistee

Bradenton, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
1890's travel to Manistee

My grandfather, Clarence H. Haskin traveled from Jamestown, NY to Manistee ca 1890. He met Hilda Benson, married her & they had 5 children all born &/or educated in Manistee, Claude.Harold, Frank Edward, Clifford, Hazel Dorothy and Charles David. (my father)

Clarence was a motorcycle policeman in Manistee in 1918 until about 1924 (when he broke his leg).Hilda died in 1920. By 1925 the family had moved to Detroit to find work.

Clarence left his family at 18 & came to Manistee. I am trying to figure out how he got there, by train? by boat or? I don't think he walked or rode a horse. The family used to live on First St,. Relative still living in Manistee is Carol Benson Block. At least 5 Haskin's are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery.. plus ? Bensons

4 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1890's travel to Manistee

welp, i got a few ideas that might point you in the direction you're looking for...

boats:

up until the 1950's many car ferry's plied Lake Michigan... it's possible he got to manistee via chicago or other ports... also, steamships plied most of the Great Lakes a hundred years ago, so it's entirely possible he got there from NY via buffalo or erie, PA or other nearby ports....

railroads:

the pere marquette rr had an extensive route structure throughout michigan, including a route to manistee... it is possible he arrived this way... interestingly, the PM RR (and other RR's) had a fleet of car ferries to carry their freight trains across Lake Michigan....

http://www.pmhistsoc.org/maxpmmap.shtml

http://www.pmhistsoc.org/ferries.shtml

hope this helps!

Edited: 23 February 2012, 00:26
Bradenton, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1890's travel to Manistee

Thanks, I have been googling & believe he could have taken trains from Jamestown, NY to Manistee & vice versa. just a few stops to change trains.

Gay

Manistee, Michigan...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1890's travel to Manistee

Contact the Manistee Historical Society on River Street. Steve Harold and Mark Fedder have a wealth of information to share.

Bradenton, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1890's travel to Manistee

Thanks, I'll do that,

Gay

Reply to: 1890's travel to Manistee
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manistee